Author Topic: Donald of Clashneach & Mary Mackay  (Read 23795 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Donald of Clashneach & Mary Mackay
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
But you can still use England, Scotland and Wales as geographical terms.

It always grates on me to see 'Edinburgh, United Kingdom' so I am perfectly happy to see 'London, England' in this sort of context.

If it had been about a Canadian politician in London, England on an official visit to England, I would have found the second 'England' inappropriate for exactly the reason djct59 stated.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
  • imagine all the people sharing all the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 06 June 19 17:15 BST (UK) »
Jeanette13 - about typos, i make my fair share of them, but i want to ask you about another possible typo. you posted, "He left Durness in 1778 to join the 71st Regt. He says that Rob Donn was the last person he shook hands with in Durness at the top of the Balloch Mor." My 3x great-grandfather, the younger brother of Quartermaster John Ross, was born in 1775, and was named John because at that time (1775) his brother John had been gone to the army for several years with no word, his parents feared that he was dead, and they named their next boy John. Based on the logic of naming a second child John, I assume the departure of the first John had to be a few years before the birth of the second John in 1775. There is another way to work out the departure date, but it would take discovery of the date of his enlistment in the army, and at the moment I don't know how to hunt for army records. Anyway, can you look back at the diary and confirm that the sentence as written says John Ross left Durness in 1778?  I love the sentence "Rob Donn was the last person he shook hands with in Durness at the top of the Balloch Mor." It is a great first sentence for a novel. If you put that sentence in a search on Google, the first hit is this chat.
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 06 June 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
I walked up the Bealach Mor a couple of years ago - the top had a marvellous view of Loch Eriboll and Ben Hope, but the fire in April has devastated the entire hillside and it will take some years to recover fully.

Rob Donn Calder died in 1778 - the man who carved his gravestone couldn't carve a decent "8" so he just wrote "Rob Donn 1777" on the stone.

There is evidence that troops from Sutherland fought in the American revolution, but I don't know if full regimental records are online.

Offline Jeanette13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 06 June 19 22:15 BST (UK) »
I have checked the photo of the original diary and it looks as though the date has been changed to 1778 and was originally 1777. I will try to attach the relevant pages. if it doesn't work, give me an email address to send them to.
Jeanette

Offline Jeanette13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 08 June 19 06:13 BST (UK) »
Would the Jean Manson who married Hugh Ross be any relation to the Alexander Manson, M.D. of Thurso? He married Jane/Jennie Sinclair on 23 April 1799 and their daughter Marion Macbeth Manson (1800-1886) married Alexander Falconer Clarke JP, DL, (1802-1877), brother of my 2xgtgrandfather David Ross Clarke, the first one in the family to have 'Ross' as a middle name.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 08 June 19 13:48 BST (UK) »
Well, Manson is not a common name west of Tongue, but is far more common in Caithness and East Sutherland, so any Manson in Durness is likely to have arrived from there. There are numerous Caithness records on Scotlandseople, some dating back to the late 17th century, so you might want to spend some time delving into those records.

Is your David Ross Clarke the one born in Keodale in 1800, who married Elizabeth Ann Hall in 1827?

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 08 June 19 19:30 BST (UK) »
Jeannette13 - the short answer is that there are a lot of Mansons in Caithness.

But I don't have a solid birth record for Jean Manson. I see no Jean Manson born in Sutherland during the right time frame for her birth, but there is plausible candidate born in the right year in Olrig Parish, Caithness.

"1738 May 22 George Manson in [Gearth?] had a daughter baptized called Jean, Witness Donald Sutherland and James More"

For the moment I have pencilled in this Jean Manson as a placeholder pending additional evidence confirming or refuting her as the wife of Hugh Ross in Borley.

I also have no birth record for Hugh Ross, her husband. The Ross family in Borley becomes clearly visible after 1764 when Rev. Thompson assumed responsibility for baptisms and marriages.

At the moment I'm not researching the ancestors of Hugh and Jean because I have so many loose ends to resolve just following each of their 32 grandchildren - 17 Rosses, 8 MacLeods, and 7 MacCullochs.
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Offline Jeanette13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 09 June 19 10:41 BST (UK) »
Yes. David Ross Clarke was born on23 Feb 1800 and chr 5 Mar 1800 at Durness. He became a trader to the West Indies and married Eliza Ann Hall at St Andrews, Pleasant Prospect pen, Jamaica on 8 March 1827.  She was the eldest child of Col Charles William Hall (1768-1832) and Isabella Anne Ford (1790-1824) who was born in Niagara Canada. DRC had two sons and three daughters but my gtgrandfather Col Alexander Ross Clarke RE, FRS, CB was the only one to leave descendants. He was awarded the Gold Medal of the Royal Society in 1887 for his "determination of the figure of the Earth" - in other words he was the first to accurately measure the size and shape of the world and the book 'Geodesy' which he wrote is still in print and the authoritative text in Englsh on the subject.
Jeanette

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 14 June 19 18:39 BST (UK) »
This baptism is recorded in the Hew Morrison transcription of the John Thompson register for Durness.

"John Mackay, alias MacEan macuileam macneil, tenent in Uaibeg, and . . . Isobel Down, alias nin Rob Dhuin, alias Calder, alias Eckel, Janet, 15 June 1781."

Is this infant Janet Mackay the granddaughter of the poet Rob Donn?