Author Topic: Donald of Clashneach & Mary Mackay  (Read 23869 times)

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald of Clashneach & Mary Mackay
« Reply #36 on: Friday 14 June 19 18:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, Isobel was the daughter of the bard Rob Donn Calder. She died in childbirth on 11th March 1786 after giving birth to twins.

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
  • imagine all the people sharing all the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 14 June 19 18:54 BST (UK) »
thanks, i see it now.

"John Mackay, alias macenicuileam macneil, tenent in Uaibeg, and . . . Isobel Down, daughter of Robert Down, Poet, John and Isobel (Isobel Down died two or three hours after the twins were born), 11 March 1786"

Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 16 June 19 00:13 BST (UK) »
Here's a direct transliteration from the ScotlandsPeople digital image of the Baptism register handwritten by Rev.John Thompson, see attachment.

"Robert Down Poet in Saingo had George baptized 12 Sept. 1769"

The Hew Morrison transliteration of this baptism:

"Robert Down, Poet in Saingo, George, 12 Sept. 1769"

Is this also the bard Rob Donn?

Two lines above that is a patronymic:

"John Macdholicorishskerray, alias Mackay"

What is the translation of the patronymic?

Thanks very much!

[wr]
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 16 June 19 11:25 BST (UK) »
John the son of Donald the son of George in Skerray (a place near Tongue).

Yes, George in 1769 was the son of the bard.

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 21:59 BST (UK) »
Would the Jean Manson who married Hugh Ross be any relation to the Alexander Manson, M.D. of Thurso? He married Jane/Jennie Sinclair on 23 April 1799 and their daughter Marion Macbeth Manson (1800-1886) married Alexander Falconer Clarke JP, DL, (1802-1877), brother of my 2xgtgrandfather David Ross Clarke, the first one in the family to have 'Ross' as a middle name.

I am also researching a possible connection to Jean Manson via a Barbara Manson who was married to an Angus Mackay tenant and miller at Badlehavish(various spellings). Interestingly Angus Mackay and Barbara Manson are buried in the Arnaboll burial ground which is not far from Badlehavish but also in the same burial ground is your Jane Sinclair, widow of Alexander Manson MD Thurso. I know that Barbara Manson was also from Thurso.
https://public.fotki.com/rhemusaig/burial_grounds/durness_parish/durness_arnaboll/ard12.html
Arnaboll is a pretty small burial ground and I do wonder if Barbara and Alexander are connected with his widow being buried there. Perhaps he is there as well but just not photographed or do you know otherwise?

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 23:03 BST (UK) »
meanno - The Jean Manson that I referenced who married Hugh Ross and lived in Borley is buried in the cemetery at Balnakeil.
https://public.fotki.com/rhemusaig/burial_grounds/durness_parish/durness_balnakeil/bk023.html
This Jean Manson has clear data sources connecting her to hundreds of descendants (including me, one of her many 4xG grandchildren). I have clear or mostly clear baptism records for 32 grandchildren of Jean Manson and her husband Hugh Ross, but her birth, parents, and ancestry lack clear source material, hence my public post here searching for clues.

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 23:37 BST (UK) »
wilros - I have emailed you

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
The landowner at Arnaboll is doing everything in his power to make the graveyard inaccessible. The former track from Eriboll cannot be driven by car (although it was accessible 40 years ago), and two rungs have been removed from the stile at the head of Loch Hope. What remains of the lochside path is also in very poor condition.

Despite all this I did manage to get there a couple of years ago and have some photographs.

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 20 June 19 02:09 BST (UK) »
These seem to be the relevant Mansons in the Arnaboll burial ground.

Barbara Manson MACKAY widow of the late Angus MACKAY, Badlehavish, who departed this life 4th June 1842 aged 71 years.
https://public.fotki.com/rhemusaig/burial_grounds/durness_parish/durness_arnaboll/ard1.html

Angus MACKAY, Badlehavish, who departed this life 9th January 1840 aged 91 years
https://public.fotki.com/rhemusaig/burial_grounds/durness_parish/durness_arnaboll/ard2_x_2.html

In memory of Jane SINCLAIR, widow of Alexander MANSON M D Thurso, who died at Eriboll August 18th 1851 aged 76 years. Also of Jane MANSON her daughter who died at Edinburgh July 2nd 1872 aged 63 years
https://public.fotki.com/rhemusaig/burial_grounds/durness_parish/durness_arnaboll/ard12.html

In memory of Helen Sinclair MANSON born Thurso December 27 1805 died at Nairn September 13th 1886
https://public.fotki.com/rhemusaig/burial_grounds/durness_parish/durness_arnaboll/ard13.html