Author Topic: Thomas William Fitzpatrick  (Read 14284 times)

Offline apttony

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas William Fitzpatrick
« on: Tuesday 28 March 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find relatives of my Great Uncle Thomas William Fitzpatrick, from Co. Waterford.  He had a distinguised military career, 2 sisters named Bridie and Ellen, and a son called Joe ( Joseph?)

Any information would be gratefully received.

Tony

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas William Fitzpatrick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tony,

A belated welcome to RootsChat.

If you have the details of your great uncle's military career post a message on the Armed Forces board.

There are three items you require when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish
3. Townland.

If the family were in Waterford in the early 1800s you'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Can you give us any idea of dates?- it difficult to offer any advice as dates of birth will make a great deal of difference of what sources might be available.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline apttony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 April 08 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been away abroad for a while, hence the dealy in responding.

I thought the best way was to outline what I know already, so see below.  I've gathered quite a lot so far on Thomas William Fitzpatrick's militaryu career, so I'm now looking for more 'family' orientated information.

First Generation

1. Anastasia CONNOLLY, daughter of Connolly ( - ) and (Connolly) ( - ), was born in 1850 in Ardmore.  She married Thomas William FITZPATRICK on 23 October 1878.(*1)

Thomas William FITZPATRICK was born in 1852 in Ireland.

Member of R.I.C. (Royal Irish Constabulary). Listed with RUC as Sergeant in charge of the Barracks at Tagoat in the

Dundrum district of Wexford from 1893 until his retirement. Full service records have not survived.(*1)

1887 living in Galbally, Clonroche, Wexford.(*2)

Occupation in 1887 Sergeant Royal Irish Constabulary.(*2)

Reported to be Head Constable. At one time stationed in Duncormack, Co.Wexford.

Moved to Cork early 1900's - address in October 1914 was 146 Lower Glanmire Road, Cork.

Thomas William FITZPATRICK and Anastasia CONNOLLY had the following children:

+2      Thomas William FITZPATRICK (1878- )
   +3      Ellinore Aloysius FITZPATRICK (1883-1960)
   +4      Bridget FITZPATRICK (1885- )
   +5      Ciss FITZPATRICK (1885- )
   +6      William Christopher FITZPATRICK (1887- )

Second Generation

2. Thomas William FITZPATRICK, son of Thomas William FITZPATRICK and Anastasia CONNOLLY, was born in 1878 in Ireland.  He died "c1970".

Address 25/5/1914  St. Joseph's Place, Blackrock Road, Cork
Distiguished military career. Pasha Fitzpatrick of Cairo Police. DCM OBE plus a heck of a lot more.
Retired as Major-General. Died in an Officer's home.

Maud WAGNER was born in 1885 in Cork.  She and Thomas William FITZPATRICK had the following children:

+7      Maudie FITZPATRICK (1890- )
   +8      Joseph FITZPATRICK (1920-1990?)

3. Ellinore Aloysius FITZPATRICK,(*3) daughter of Thomas William FITZPATRICK and Anastasia CONNOLLY, was born in 1883 in Cork, Ireland.  She married Albert THOMPSON on 14 January 1911 in St. Pauls Church, C.of E, Tranmere, Birkenhead.(*4)  It is thought that the marriage broke up some timew in the 1930's.  Ellinore died on 13

March 1960 in St. Vincents Hospice, Old Swan, Liverpool, Sub-district of West Derby, Liverpool.(*5)  She was buried on 17 March 1960 in Bebington Cemetry.(*6)

Address at time of mariiage:  Mahony's Avenue, Cork

Nurse, trained at St. Vincents Hospital, Dublin
Marriage to Albert Thompson broke up in 1930's
Ran Nursing Home at "Ellerslie", 19 Stanley Road, New Ferry, Bebington, Cheshire (recorded in Kelly's Directory 1938).

Trained as a Nurse pre-WW1 at Vincents Hospital, Dublin.

Albert THOMPSON,(*7,8) son of Thomas THOMPSON (1843- ) and Hannah PLATT (1843- ), was born on 10 August 1880 in Pendleton, Manchester.  The address was: 27 Hankinson St., Pendleton.  He was a Chief Engineer.  He died.

Marine Engineer (Chief), Merchant Navy
Apparently crewed on Coastal Tanker Otterhound.

In 1881 living at 27 Hankinson St, (Lamb Inn), Pendleton in Salford, Lancashire, England.

In 1891 living at 25, Church Street, Hayfield, Phoside, Derbyshire.(*9)

In 1935 - 1941 lived at 26 Easton Road, New Ferry, Wirral.(*10)

Albert THOMPSON and Ellinore Aloysius FITZPATRICK had the following children:

+9      Thomas Francis Xavier Patrick THOMPSON (1912-1986)

4. Bridget FITZPATRICK, daughter of Thomas William FITZPATRICK and Anastasia CONNOLLY, was born in 1885 in Cork.

5. Ciss FITZPATRICK, daughter of Thomas William FITZPATRICK and Anastasia CONNOLLY, was born in 1885 in Ireland.

Trained in Dublin & became a Nurse - went to Waterbury, Conn., America.

6. William Christopher FITZPATRICK, son of Thomas William FITZPATRICK and Anastasia CONNOLLY, was born on 25 December 1887 in Galbally, Clonroche, Enniscorthy,

Wexford, Ireland.(*11)

Became a Chemist - went to St.Paul, Minnesota, USA, then to Torrance, L.A.  Into Real-Estate.

Mary Evelyn BOWDEN was born on 2 April 1896 in USA.  

Third Generation

7. Maudie FITZPATRICK, daughter of Thomas William FITZPATRICK and Maud WAGNER, was born in 1890 in Unknown.

Never married.

8. Joseph FITZPATRICK, son of Thomas William FITZPATRICK and Maud WAGNER, was born in 1920 in Unknown.  He died in 1990 (approx.).

Attended Sandhurst - became Brigadier J Fitzpatrick.
In Tank Corps.
Milatry Attache at some time in Paris.

Unkown UNKNOWN was born in 1890 in Unkown.

Family in flour business - not Rank !

9. Thomas Francis Xavier Patrick THOMPSON,(*12,13,14,15,16) son of Albert THOMPSON and Ellinore Aloysius FITZPATRICK, was born on 14 March 1912 in Cork, Irish Republic.  He was baptised on 8 April 1912 in St. Patrick, Cork.(*12)  

regards
Tony

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 April 08 16:26 BST (UK) »
Tony- not sure what sort of details you are looking for but it would be a good idea to go back to the above information you posted and remove names and any details of possible living people due to privacy restrictions on Rootschat.
One bit I did notice is Ciss Fitzpatrick (do you know what her Christian name was?) trained as a nurse and went to Waterbury, (New Haven Co.) Conn. Do you know where she trained (Ireland or England or U.S.?). Have a lot of information on Waterbury and will take a look and get back here again.

Offline apttony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 April 08 16:54 BST (UK) »
aghadowey,

Point taken............message modified  :)

I think "Ciss" was short for "Beatrice".  I think she trained in Dublin and may have married a Doyle.

Tony

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 April 08 17:00 BST (UK) »
Tony- have found "Ciss" (Cecelia) and daughters- will send pm as they (daughters) might still be alive.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 April 08 18:22 BST (UK) »
1930 U.S. Census- Syme Ave., Waterbury, New Haven, Conn.:
Michael Doyle, 41, rents home, born Ireland, to U.S. 1884 naturalized 1905, electrician- factory
wife Cecilia Doyle, 34, born Ireland, to U.S. 1914
dau.  Edithne? Doyle, age 3 6/12, born New York
dau. Ana Doyle, age 6/12. born Conn.
dau. Elizabeth Doyle, age 6/12, born Conn.

Cecel. Doyle died 14 Dec.1954 Waterbury age 73 (was widow, spouse: Mich.) which fits with above census record.

Have her U.S. passport application which I will send by e-mail if you send me pm with your email address.

Have to go out but lots more to send you later tonight.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 April 08 21:47 BST (UK) »
WWI Draft Registration card:
Michael Joseph Doyle born 4 June 1878, address RFD4 Waterbury, has wife, electrician National Co. Huntington? Ave Waterbury.

WWII Draft Registration 1942:
Michael Joseph Doyle, born 4 June 1879 Kildare Ireland, address- 55 Ludlow St. Waterbury, Mrs. Cecelia M. Doyle (person who will always know whereabouts) employed Diamond Gingerale Co. 587 Bank St. Waterbury.

Micha. Doyle died 25 June 1952 Waterbury age 74, married, spouse: Cece.

Eldest daughter's name is difficult to make out but wondering if it could have Eithne?

E-mail just sent with pictures.