Author Topic: 28 Marloes Road, Kensington 1920/21  (Read 11252 times)

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
28 Marloes Road, Kensington 1920/21
« on: Tuesday 28 March 06 15:19 BST (UK) »
I need some help or clarification on 28 Marloes Road, Kensington with regards to the birth of a illegitimate child born December 1920.  Was this place a Poorhouse or an actual hospital?  Where could I find any old records or archives of births.  What were the rules for baptising an illegitimate child? I am referring to the fact the child may have been Catholic.  Could anyone help on this or point me in the right direction.  (i do not live in London)  Thanks for your help.  Dee
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Marloes Road, Kensington 1920/21
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee

If I have the right place, it would appear to have been a poor law infirmary - now (or part of) St Mary Abbot's Hospital ...............

http://www.rootschat.com/links/09u/

and there appear to be some records at the London Metropolitan Archives

http://www.rootschat.com/links/098/

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 19:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Casalguidi.  This looks very interesting.  Just hope that there are some records that I can search.  I do appreciate your help. Dee
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline Chesilcove

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 12 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I have only just come across RootsChat and I am very interested in your post about St Mary Abbot Hospital. My mother also had an illegitimate child in 1926 at the 28 Marloes Road and as far as we can ascertain the RC nuns the Sisters of Mercy were involved. Did you get any further with your investigations? I look forward to hearing from.

Offline retep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chesilcove,

Just to mention that I've just found out from the d/cert of my gg grandfather - James Ewen Mackenzie -  that he died at 28 Marloes Road on 9 June 1876, although he lived at 128 Wornington Road.   I've just 'googled' Marloes Road and it was Kensington Infirmary and Workhouse (known after 1922 as St Mary Abbott's Hospital) - as Casalguidi's previous post. 

Peter

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 November 12 19:25 GMT (UK) »
I also have an illegitimate ancestor born at 28 Marloes Road. He was John William Barnes (Also known as William John Barnes).

Would there be any records for 28 Marloes Road? I am searching for his father but cannot find any information.

Attached is the birth certificate: http://en.geneanet.org/archives/actes/actesenligne/1014180

Offline Elliesmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 December 12 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Did you have any joy tracing the father as my husband's mother was born there in 1923 and I have the same problem?

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 December 12 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I contacted the London Metropolitan Archives as I was unable to go locally. They offer a paid search service. It took them 4 weeks to carry out research. On the payment part of the form I gave my details for 2 and a half hours but they only charged for 1 hour (£50).

They recently contacted me and gave me copies of the birth records and told me that Lily E Barnes was 17 when she gave birth. They also found a birth certificate for Lily E Barnes which I ordered.

They also found out that she was Roman Catholic so I have contacted the local Catholic church archives and they said will search for a baptism of John William Barnes and let me know if they find anything.

email ask.lma@cityoflondon.gov.uk or call 020 7332 385 and ask for a application form for a paid search.

Offline HotDesker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 June 23 11:05 BST (UK) »
My GF was born there in 1908.  I was able to find his birth certificate as usual by searching for him under his mother's maiden name. Can't find a baptism record.  Maybe he was baptised there? No father mentioned on BC, but I have since discovered who he was with DNA research.