Author Topic: PETERKIN Banff/Fordyce/Portsoy  (Read 20497 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: PETERKIN Banff/Fordyce/Portsoy
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 August 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
"Erected by Alexander Peterkin, Farmer in Skeith, to the memory of his father John Peterkin, later Farmer there, who died on the 22nd December 1820 agred 55 years.  Also of his brother James Peterkin, who died the 26th July the same year aged 7 years.  Likewise in memory of the above mentioned Alexander Peterkin who died at Dytach the 11th September 1810 aged 31 years."

AlanZed, is there possibly an error here?

If Alexander P died in 1810, how could he erect a stone to his father and brother who died ten years later? Could this be 1840 rather than 1810?

John Peterkin and Elizabeth Gray had a son Alexander, baptised 3 January 1810, and a son James, baptised in 1813, both in Deskford. Skeith is actually in the parish of Deskford - see http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ5060.

There is a widowed Elizabeth Gray, aged 62, in the 1841 census in Fordyce, with an unmarried sister Mary Gray, 53, and a daughter Janet MacCurach, unmarried, 26. Could this be Elizabeth, using her maiden surname as was quite usual?

If Alexander Jr did indeed die in 1840, then he is the obvious candidate to be phyllismcrae's errant Alexander.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kmal84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PETERKIN Banff/Fordyce/Portsoy
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am researching my ancestors James Nicol and Elizabeth Kelman. They had several Children, I was able to find the births of Douglas Watson Nicol and Jean Henry Nicol. She married Alexander Peterkin on 10th March 1858. Both her parents were listed as Deceased. There was also a daughter Christian Nicol born around 1840 who married John Kidd in July 1858. She was my 3x grandmother. I found James and Elizabeth's marriage in June 1821 in Tyrie, but I have not been able to find anything else about them.

I would welcome any information on James and Elizabeth especially around their deaths as I have not been able to find them after the birth of Douglas in 1837. I could not find them on any census records either