Author Topic: 1841 census look up please  (Read 1243 times)

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 census look up please
« on: Tuesday 28 March 06 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi can anybody look up  a family called Coaker in the   1841 census in the 1851 census HO/107/1472  there is a Mark Coaker with his family and his parents John and Ann both Mark and John say they were born Bere Regis,hope somebody can find them in the 1841 census I know it is not easy to search.
Best Regards

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1841 Census Lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
They don't seem to be in Dorset in 41. As they are in Middlesex by 51 I checked Surrey for you and found this family

Warren Farm, Wimbledon Common
John Coakes 60 Farmer
Uretta ??? do 50
Mark do 25 Farmer
All born out of county
HO107/1069/5 Pg5

I checked the image for 1851 I'm not sure what the mother's name is but it isn't Ann and does appear to start with a U -  ??? Uri  :-\ So the above could well be them. What do you think?

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census look up please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan
     Don't think it's them if I give you the 1851 ref for them I think you will see what I mean all I have is HO 107/1472 and I think it says Christchurch and maybe it says parish of Childa?? the address was 5 Queens Road,Mark aged 36 his wife Elizabeth aged 33 and two sons Edward aged 3 and Alfred 9 months and visiting are John and Ann Coaker his parents aged 72 and 65 both Mark and his father say they were born Bere Regis so I thought it would be a good idea to find them in the 1841,thanks for trying for me.
Best Regards.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes that was the family I looked at in 51 - they are 5 Queens Rd West, Chelsea (Christ Church), Middlesex. I'm 99% sure it is Chelsea but can see it could look like Childa  :D ::) and the Coaker actually looks more like Coakes the writing is bad :D  The mother's name still doesn't look like Ann to me though (there is an Ann further down page to compare with) and does appear to start with a U. Have you got access to the image yourself? If not PM me your email and I'll send it to you so you can have a look.

Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan
         It looks as though I made a rare ::) mistake I was at the London records and they have computers linked to Ancestry so as I had already finished what I was looking for I put in Coaker in the 1851 census,what you get is the page of the census but as you have seen this page unless you rumble that Childa is in fact Chelsea you would as I did think I had more Coakers in Dorset in 1851 hence the 1841 look up plea,I just hope the on line opc gets Bere Regis church records online soon or I will never know where this line ends up,thanks for the help.
Best Regards

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 April 06 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
I take it you have a Mark Coaker born Bere Regis, Dorset circa 1814 parents John and Ann but haven't located them on censuses?
I would hold the Chelsea 1851 and 1841 Surrey families on file as they still could be your family - Mark and parents were definitely born in Dorset in 51. Mark and John give their birthplaces as Berryius but I think this might be a case of a Middlesex enumerator doing the best he could with Bere Regis - either badly written or spoken in a broad Dorset accent :D As for mother not being Ann - she may have died and John remarried Uri/Uretta. All worth looking into. Do you have any other info on them eg were they a farmers?

Just found the same family in 1861 in Hayes Middlesex, birthplace for John and Mark is Bere Regis. John is listed as retired farmer, Mark a proprietor of houses, mother is definitely Uri born Kigston Dorset. Surname does look like Coakes though.

Hope you sort this one out
Regards Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 April 06 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan
  This Coaker line in Dorset has been a puzzle for some time ,the name is a Devon one and that county has had it's act together for some years,but until quiet recently Dorset had very little to offer somebody using the net,also the Dorset Coaker line were in London early around 1800 which makes for difficult searches,I have been putting the line together and I do have a spare ;D John Coaker born around 1771 in Dorset which may fit John the father of Mark,but as you say it maybe Coakes but I get the feeling these people are Coakers,I will devout more time to this line to sort it out now Dorset has more info on line ,wish Gloustershire would copy Dorset,this Coaker line were at Marshfield for a few years,looks as if I will have to drag myself down there soon ;)   thanks alot for your help

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 April 06 10:22 BST (UK) »
Let us know if you have any breakthroughs.
Happy hunting
Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale