Author Topic: Four Trees - Our Great Grandfathers  (Read 79853 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Four Trees - Our Great Grandfathers
« Reply #144 on: Monday 13 August 12 15:23 BST (UK) »
William Edward Jones, born 1873 in Burlton, Shropshire. Started life as a groom, became a coachman, and then a professional gardener. Lovely fellow, by all accounts.

Frederick Oldfield Walmsley, also born 1873 in Burnley, Lancashire. Started as an assistant in his father's hay, corn and flour dealership, but became a professional entertainer, comedian and local hero in Blackpool.

George Harley, born 1855 in Leeds, Yorkshire. Forge labourer in an iron works.  A bit of a mystery man, I need to find out more about him.

Harry Waite, born 1877 in Dewsbury, Yorkshire.  Wool packer and mill worker. Quite a hard man, according to my grandfather.

Offline dobbiesoates

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Friday 16 November 12 10:03 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather:
Alfred Oates b. Hooten Pagnell Yorkshire 1873

Great grandmother:
Mary Catherine Ford b. Ashover Derbyshire 1867

to mrspeel.

These were my great grandparents too.
I live in Scotland and am the grandson of Alfred L. Oates, who was a brother of Constance Oates (Canada) who died circa 2001. I have more info if you would like to reply.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Friday 16 November 12 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, these are mine,

Gerhadus Hendrikus Kempen
b Moorends Yorkshire 07/01/1904
d Moorends, Yorkshire 1981

Gerhadus Hubertus/Hendrikus Kempen
b Maasbree, Linburg Netherlands 23/06/1878
d Moorends Yorkshire 16/01/1943

Henrikus Kempen
b Maasbree Linburg Netherlands 24/09/1850
d Maasbree Linburg Netherlands 16/03/1928

Gerard Kempen
b Helden Limburg Netherlands 17/09/1812
d Helden Linmurg Netherlands 06/03/1812

And I wish with all of my heart that I could find out about there lives. :(
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Friday 16 November 12 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Mine are:-
Wouter van de Waal 1858 near Breda, Netherlands, florist, then had big poultry and rabbit shop. (Died of stomach cancer as did his first wife, which is rather alarming.)

Jan Pieter de Rouw 1853 Breda, carpenter, worked on building bridges over the canals.

William Broadley 1863 Clayton le Moors Lancs, shopkeeper then rep for brother's printing business.

James Breen 1847 County Down, farmer, moved to Cumberland, lab in various industries and docks.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Monday 21 January 13 23:34 GMT (UK) »
My Four Great Grandfathers;

Thomas George Knighton
1920-2009

Born in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, England. Was married twice, my grandfather is from his first marriage. Was famous for carrying an 18-stone sack of wheat for a full mile. Owned his own lorry driving company. Moved to Australia in 1966 with his second family. There is a whole different branch of Knightons living in Australia.

Robert Rodgers
1914-1998

Born in Consett, Durham, England. Biked all the way down to Wisbech in Cambridgeshire with his brother in search for work, and met my great grandmother, Maizee Glenuster Feaviour and stayed there for the rest of his life. Was the only great grandfather I ever met, he made me laugh by sticking his false teeth out.

Robert Joseph Tweedie
1912-1988

Born and lived in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Married my great grandmother Margaret McCluskey in 1934. Reportedly a very intimidating man, my grandfather and him did not get on. Apparently was responsible for the trend of deep-frying everything in Scotland, apparently while working as a fry cook he would deep-fry anything on request. Highly doubt this story however.

James McMillan
1898-1957

Born and lived in Glasgow. By far the oldest of my great grandfathers, my grandmother was the youngest of her siblings with a big age gap between them. Quite a tragic figure as both his parents died when he was a young boy. He also died relatively young at the age of 59. Married my great grandmother Matilda Gunn in 1922.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Patricia_ Wright

• Please contact us at RootsChat wrong email address given
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 01:25 GMT (UK) »
My Scottish ancestors from Greenock, Mains of Coull, Aberdeenshire, Coull, Aberdeenshire, Birse, Mill of Gellan, Coull, Bogiefern, Birse and  Aboyne)  are:

James Brown Wright (Droughtman)b. 8 Aug 1919 d. 16 Nov. 1979 married Annie Tannahill MacGregor Allan
Parents – Alexander Dalziel Keith Wright (Police Constable)b. 6 Jan 1891 d. ? married Asta Ludovico Thoreson-her father was a Ship Master.
Paternal Grandparents – Peter Wright (Labourer)b.7 Feb 1864 d.14 Sept. 1894 married Annie Morrice-now Brown
Paternal Great Grandparents – Peter Wright (Ploughman)b.24 Aug. 1823 d. 18 Mar. 1911 married 1st cousin- Jane Calder
Paternal Great Great Grandparents – Alexander Wright (Farmer)b.27 July 1795 d. 1 Apr. 1881 married Rebecca Calder
Paternal Great Great Great Grandparents – Peter Wright (Farmer)b. abt. 1765 d. before 1855  married Margaret Mollison

Peter must have died before 1855 as he does not appear in any census. This means there is no easy way to find the names of his parents. Are there?

Stuck here???

Patricia
Mains of Coull, Mill of Gellan, Coull, Aberdeenshire, Birse, and Aboyne.
Parents – of Husband Grandfather
Alexander Dalziel Keith Wright and Asta Ludovico Thoreson
Paternal Grandparents – Peter Wright and Annie Morrice-now Brown
Paternal Great Grandparents – Peter Wright and Jane Calder
Paternal Great Great Grandparents – Alexander Wright and Rebecca Calder
Paternal Great Great Great Grandparents – Peter Wright and Margaret Mollison

Offline Zelley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Friday 22 March 13 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I wonder where our great grandfathers were in 1900
Zelley,  Lovell, Godbold, Woods, Phillips, Lewis, Emery,
Magee, Baker, White. Flisher, Kyne, Tilston, Valence/Vallens,
Mabb/Mabbe, Bellamy, Selley, Martha Smith, Arno (of Dartmouth, Devon}.
Dorset, London, Warwick, East Anglia, Kent,  Devon
North Wales          

The ancestors lived here and there, in many scattered
places, with various occupations

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Saturday 23 March 13 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Well we can pin them down on at least one day in 1901 (if still alive)
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 03:32 BST (UK) »
Stonechat, you got me thinking. 1900/1901?
Let me see....
one was in the Port Adelaide area running a pub, another was a captain of a ketch sailing up and down the South Australian coast and based in Portland (suburb of Adelaide), the third was a builder living in Victoria Park (another suburb), and the recently discovered fourth was somewhere in country SA (probably in or around Echunga) as a farm hand/stockman.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.