Author Topic: Derby Records Office  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Justy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Derby Records Office
« on: Tuesday 28 March 06 19:55 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my family and have discovered that they are from the Derbyshire area (Longford and Doveridge specifically).  I am finding it difficult to find all the info I need on the net so wondered if it is possible/worth going to Derby/Ashbourne record office.

Sorry for sounding a bit stupid but can you go to these places to browse records?  Do you have to pay?  Would I be able to see parish records there too?  ???

I live in Worcester so it is a bit of a trek for me so i want to make sure it has the potential to be useful!

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Derby Records Office
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Justy. I think what you will need is the Derbyshire Records Office at Matlock  :)
Here's the link.
http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/record_office/
It is free, you just need to register so probably need some ID with you (and a coat if you plan on walking outside, I swear Matlock is one of the coldest places on Earth)
If you click on "Our collection" and scroll to the bottom of the page there is a list of all the parish records that they have.
If you are still looking at census material then they have that too, though if you live in Worcester then your local family history centre probably ha sa subscription to Ancestry and then you could see all the census stuff locally - or post here for look-ups :)
And if you haven't already found it then http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/ has a few memorial inscriptions for your two parishes.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pierce-brosnan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 April 06 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Just over the road from the record office in Matlock there is another building that has all the newspapers on film.  It is years since I visited the Records Office but I remember loving it :O)  Oh and being frozen to death (lol).  Someone else may know the building I'm talking about.  Don't forget to take some ID and lots of pencils as they won't allow pens.

HTH Vanda
Barnes - High Peak, Derbyshire
Bramwell - Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire
Brown - Edingly, Nottinghamshire
Crossland - Derbyshire & Lancashire
Elvey & Eastland - Thanet
Foster - Farnsfield, Nottinghamshire
Hardy - Lancashire
Hopwood - Lancashire
Horrocks - Lancashire & Yorkshire
Larkin - Derbyshire & Ireland
Luxton - Chard, Somerset
Mason - Herefordshire
Notley - Somerset
Oakden - Staffs
Quayle - Manchester & IOM
Shirt - Derbyshire
Smith - Lancashire & Yorkshire

Offline martync

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 11:48 BST (UK) »
I live in Worcester so it is a bit of a trek for me so i want to make sure it has the potential to be useful!

Hi Justy,

Another alternative if you can find which parish records you want to see is to go to the  Worcestershire Library & History Centre in Trinity Street ( http://worcestershire.whub.org.uk/home/wccindex/wcc-records/wcc-records-history-centre.htm ) where you can order LDS microfilms, one of the first record offices to be able to do this. It costs about £5 to order them in for a month or just over £6 for upto 3 months.

I also have relatives from Derbyshire and although I live in Cheltenham I have just requested a film at the Worcestershire Library & History Centre as my local LDS family history centre is only open during office hours.

All the best,
Martyn
Collier - Leicestershire
Healy - Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Dublin
Clay - Leicestershire, Northamptonshire
Swift - Leicestershire, Derbyshire
Walker - Isle of Man, Glasgow
Akins - Liverpool, Ireland
Bowers - Co. Down, Ireland & Liverpool