Author Topic: 1841 Census  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Skagway

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 Census
« on: Wednesday 29 March 06 07:01 BST (UK) »
Thomas Telfer and Helen Gibson in Jedburgh had a son Thomas born 1821 and a son John born 1824. Thomas died 1831. Could someone look for widow Helen Telfer and sons Thomas and John on the 1841 Census? John married Christiana Fleming of Jedburgh, and moved to England where they are on the 1851 Census.  I am looking for Christiana's birth and their marriage.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 13:04 BST (UK) »
I have checked available counties on Scotland 1841 census to no avail; do you know what county they were living in england in 1851?
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline Skagway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 18:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Habanero - Many thanks for the look up.  In 1851 they were in Tynemouth, Northumberland. John Telfer, now married to Christiana with 3 children, Thomas 2, Christiana 1, and Walter 1mo. (Walter is my Grandfather). In a separate hosehold in Tynemouth is Helen Telfer, widow, with daughter Jessie 32 ! I have never been able to trace this Jessie. Helen was born in Musselborough, Edinburgh Co. in 1790, could she have gone home after the death of her husband in 1831?    Skagway

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 06 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Skagway,

The problem that you might have in the 1841 census is that Helen, Thomas and John may all be in different locations in this census :(

I have looked on Freecen for Helen and found 6 entries.  There is one aged 55 working as a servant in Edinburgh.  One aged 50 working as a ag lab in Castleton ROX, living with an Adam Telfer (brother in law?)  One in Kirkton ROX who is a pauper living alone.  Of the other 3, 2 look lke they are still married and one is independently wealthy and living in Paisley, so not too sure if they match.

There is a potential Thomas showing on Freecen (the only one that is the correct age and given as born in Jedburgh).  He is an Ag Lab in Ulston, Jedburgh where the head of the family is an Adam Pringle.  I cannot find a similar entry for John.

The problem with Freecen is that it is not complete for the UK, so there are parishes and counties missing.  In addition (and this is not just for Freecen), there are often inaccuracies in the census returns in that birth places and ages are often given incorrectly (or change from census to census!) or mistranscribed by the enumerator.

Doing a quick search on the OPRs on Scotlands People shows a Jane Telfer born on 27/05/1828 to Thomas and Helen - this will be your missing Jessie (Jessie, Jane and Janet are pretty much interchangeable).

I have had no luck with the marriage of John and Christina however.

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 06 22:00 BST (UK) »
Two things:-

1.1841 census due online at scotlandspeople next month
2. I actually live in Musselburgh and have been going to cemetery (good view) regularly since I lived here; don't get your hopes up but I think I recall the name Telfer amongst its residents-as I say, don't count your chickens but I'll have a look this weekend, weather pending.

(I have 1841 Northumberland census so will plough through Tynemouth just in case the family moved)

Cheers,  Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline chiplassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 11 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Skagway;
  I relate to the same Fleming family who settled in Newcastle Northumberland.  I have  been trying to find the baptisms of all of Walter Fleming's children in Jedburgh, Roxburgh too (through S.P.) and no luck there.
    The children lived separately from their father in Camberwell St Giles in 1841.  Eldest daughter Christiana was a baker, and head of the family with her younger siblings.  Father Walter lived nearby, also a baker.  Odd arrangement I have thought.  Later I found them in Northumberland.  Walter's brother James Fleming is my direct line, and also a baker in the Peckham, Camberwell area.
  Would be interested to know if you have gained any more details since your last post on this family.
CL ( Canada)
Stanton-Lincolnshire
Smith-Lincolnshire
Edwards- Lincolnshire
Selby-London
Davis-Kent
Booker- Kent
Acton-Kent
Davies-Southwark, London
Maher- London
Mills-Kent
McLean-Antrim, NI