Author Topic: SHENTON family in Chelvey  (Read 8229 times)

Offline Vivienne Mason

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHENTON family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek

I have been sent this link by my sister in law as we have been looking for Chidsey's in Yatton and Sarah Chidsey *(nee Shenton) is my GGGmother. 
I have the marriage cert and wanted to know more about her line.

I have been looking for Sherton all these years and so I am very happy to discover that the name is actually Shenton.  Now I may get a little further with my research.

Do you want to swap details? 

PS I am visiting the UK from Australia and have been looking at the gravestones in Yatton and Congresbury, but I only have one more week before I head back to Melbourne.

Looking forward to hearing from you/
Thanks so much.
Vivienne Mason

Offline DerekB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: SHENTON family in Chelvey
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 April 09 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Vivienne,
Yes the name is definitely Shenton, I have looked at the parish records, the Somerset archives say it is Shenton and the Bristol & Avon FHS also say Shenton.
I have traced the Shenton and Chidsey families back to Thomas Shenton b ca 1720 and James Chidsey ca 1759. Neither were born in the parish in which they settled nor any of the near by parishes and I have so far not established where they came from. Chidsey is spelled Chidzy in the earliest records.
Samuel Chidsey and Sarah (Shenton) were my GG grandparents, their daughter Maria Chidsey b 1847 in Yatton married Samuel Joy in Bristol in 1869.
One of their children Blanche Amelia Joy was my Grandmother.
This may be a little strange but I think I already have you in my family tree, if you are descended from John Chidsey (Chidgezy) and Caroline Pedrick via Alexander b 1855 in Bristol. He had a brother George James Chidgzey who emigrated to Australia in 1876. I have been in contact with Melissa Harding who lives in Perth, WA. There are also some cousins (Chidgzey) in the Queensland area but they did not seem to want to communicate. A lot of Alexander's side of the tree came from Sue Haylett 5 or 6 years ago who I think said she had been in contact with you some time before that but had lost contact.
I have a Chidsey/Shenton tree that must have about 1000 names.
I would be happy to send you a copy.
If you are looking for gravestones the Shentons lived for many years in Chelvey, Thomas married Hannah ? somewhere but not Chelvey before 1746 and he and Hannah are buried in Chelvey.
There are very few Shentons in Somerset and I have found a few but so far no Thomas born in the 1720's.
The only clues I have so far are that there seems to be a few Shentons in the east of Somerset in the 1600's but none fit yet there is a generation missing. If this is correct then they seem to have moved west from area around Shepton Mallet.
I don't know if it is possible to contact someone offline on this board but I will have a look.
Happy hunting
Regards
Derek
London - Jeffryes, Arrowsmith, Woodland, Brown, Leach, Sharp, Chapman
Somerset - Baker, Chidsey, Coomer, Joy, Shenton, Page
Devon - Baker, Palmer, Mock, Rogers, Lamzed
Wiltshire - Haines, Osborn/Ogborn
Surrey - Fowler
Norfolk - Capes
Kent - Chapman, Martin

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 April 09 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Vivienne and Derek,

A Big Welcome to RootsChat Vivienne ;D

To pass on personal information we use the secure PM (personal message) system. As a new member Vivienne will need to make a couple more posts before the PM system opens up to her, so just reply here a couple of times Vivienne. Then you will find that by clicking on the little green scroll to the left of Derek's post (under his username) you will be able to talk to him privately and share personal data.

All the best

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vivienne Mason

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 April 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Derek

Thanks for your swift reply.  Yes I am descended from Alexander Chidgzey and his daughter Violet is my grandmother.

I have been researching the Chidsey line on and off for 10 years and only just picked up that line again recently when we found George Chidsey in WA.  I didn't even know he was Alexander's brother until last month.

John Chidsey father of Alexander I think went to Australia and re-married, but I do not have absolute proof of this as 2 John Chidseys emigrated -  one to Adelaide and one to Brisbane.

I would be delighted to be in contact with the WA family and also Sue Haylet who we lost contact with when I emigrated myself.

Happy to share my tree with you.

Regards
Vivienne

Offline DerekB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 April 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Vivienne,
I have also replied off board.
But it is interesting what you say about John Chidsey as I have looked for him in the census without success and had assumed that he had died, as Caroline has apparently 'married' again, but have not found a death record.
In the 1861 census his wife Caroline in shown as the 'wife' of James Giles and Alexander age 6 is also there. I have not found a marriage between James Giles and Caroline. George age 7 is living with Caroline's parents.
John and Caroline married in 1852 and George was born 1853 and Alexander in 1855, I have a copy the marriage cert and of both birth certs.
What happened to John seems to have been in 1855 or later almost certainly before 1861.
Did he emigrate of was he transported?
They almost certainly did not divorce as it was expensive and also difficult to obtain.
I also don't think Caroline married James Giles as a Caroline Chidgezy married in 1884 in Southwark but the groom was not James Giles. Had she married James Giles she would have been Caroline Giles. I have not persued this any further.
Regards
Derek
Surrey - Fowler
Norfolk - Capes
Kent - Chapman, Martin

Offline mike123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 June 13 21:24 BST (UK) »
Try Carhampton and Dunster - lines there from 1600 to early 1700

Offline DerekB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the information had not seen the Dunster branck before. As you say early dates but unfortunately they don't seem to link into my Shentons but may do at an earlier date.
Still looking for Thomas Shenton b ca 1635. Married 1657 East Pennard.
Regards
Derek
Surrey - Fowler
Norfolk - Capes
Kent - Chapman, Martin