Author Topic: Please date and restore  (Read 1829 times)

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Please date and restore
« on: Thursday 30 March 06 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is there any chance someone could take a look at these photos.

I believe that the first picture is of my great great grandmother Mary Ann Young from Lewes. She was born in about 1865. I would be grateful if someone could touch it up and date it for me.

The second picture is, I believe, of the above Mary Ann Young's mother and brother & sisters. On the back is a note to my great gran Lucy saying it is a picture of her Gran's 80th birthday and shows her uncle & three aunts. I believe the picture must have been sent to Lucy in the 1920s. I think my great x3 grandmother, who's birthday it was, was born in 1843, making her 80 in 1923 but I'd be grateful if someone could back this up.

Many thanks

Nikki
Bucks - Chapman, Garnett, Munday, Smith, Hains, Field, Mayo, Glassington
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church
Northumberland - Back, Archbold, Elliot, Gibson, Thompson
Herts - March, Law, Adkins, Cooke, Grant
Sussex - Young, Saunders, Hayward, Bollard

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Please date and restore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 06 05:24 BST (UK) »
Here is the easy one, I shall leave any dating to someone who Knows what they're talking about.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 06 06:43 BST (UK) »
And the hard one, I'm not over happy with this one yet.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 06 07:40 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this one's any beter or not.

Denn

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 06 08:11 BST (UK) »
Can't help myself.

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 March 06 08:43 BST (UK) »

I reckon the date is around 1905?

Here is my effort at restoration!

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 06 09:16 BST (UK) »
I would make a stab and say that the first photograph of the woman was taken between the years of 1892 and 1905.
The style and cut of her attire is one that was common at this point in time. The style of sleeve, slight puff at the shoulder and long in sleeve to the wrist, plus the fact that it appears to be a jacket was common from 1892. The high necked blouse under the jacket was more common  from the mid to late 1890's as was the disappearence of the bustle. 

The second photograph of the family grouping was, as you rightly say, taken in the 1920's. The style and form of the facial hair is that which was sported by George V. The accessories worn by three of the women are also consistant with this period, dangly necklesses and wrist watches as is the style of blouse that they are wearing. The legs of two of them are covered by the type of stockings that were available at this time as well.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 March 06 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you very much for this. The damaged photo looks much better now. My greatx2 grandma Mary Ann Young died when my great gran was about 10 so probably in about 1903-5 so this photo must have been very recent before her death. I think she is a bit scary personally!!!

Kind Regards & many thanks

Nikki
Bucks - Chapman, Garnett, Munday, Smith, Hains, Field, Mayo, Glassington
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church
Northumberland - Back, Archbold, Elliot, Gibson, Thompson
Herts - March, Law, Adkins, Cooke, Grant
Sussex - Young, Saunders, Hayward, Bollard