Author Topic: Responsibility for gravestones in Local Authority Cemeteries  (Read 12257 times)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Responsibility for gravestones in Local Authority Cemeteries
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 March 06 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

There is an interesting article on the BBC today about an aspect of this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4860360.stm

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline Shellsbells

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 March 06 19:35 BST (UK) »
I'm absolutely shocked by this thread ..... well not the thread itself but the information provided in it!  Its shocking to think that one has PAID for their plot of land to be buried in and for the gravestone to be taken down willy nilly by the 'authorities' without prior notice.

Ok, I can understand that people might not have contact details for family to inform but what bugs me is for them just to pull it down when those plots have been paid for and the ones buried there think that is their final resting place only for it to be reused / re utilised several decades later is beyond belief.

Hope Im not causing a conflict here, Im just expressing my opinion.

Regards
ILLINGWORTH, SCHOFIELD <br />Bradford, Wibsey, North Bierley, Bowling, Horton, Little Horton<br />BAXTER, ELKS, HALL<br />Salford

WOOTTON

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 March 06 12:09 BST (UK) »
In the two cases I have seen, and I'm sure this does not happen in all areas, notices were placed upon the unstable stones, and letters were written, by the local authorities, to the last address they had on file.  If within a set timespan no reply was received, then they took action, so I thought at least they made the effort - you'd think in the days of digital photo's they could record the stones before taking them away too  :)

In another case they just moved them from vertical to horizontal, don't know if they asked anyone first.

Of course before the litigation culture the stones would have been just left to crumble....
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline mickgall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Albert Gall 1897-1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 March 06 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I used to be a Open Spaces/Cemetery Manager for a few councils and may be able to shed a bit of light on this, (if you look on the link Berlin-Bob posted I've quite a long post on there).

Basically what happens is you buy a plot approx 6x2feet and 1,2,3 or 4 spaces deep and you get given the grave deeds which can last for 25-100 years. Incidentally in any sort of family dispute over the grave the person who holds the grave deeds has the final say
Once a person has been buried ,after a period of time to allow for subsidence a headstone/memorial can be erected, ( the time lapse depends on the type of soil). There are usually regulations as to Height & width which are laid down in the cemetery rules and can vary from authority to authority.
When someone wants to erect a headstone they first contact a mason and discuss what they want, then an application  is sent in to the cemetery from the mason, which is checked to make sure it complies and has the grave deed holders consent.
The space in front of the headstone is the responsibility of the family/grave deed holder and can vary in size from approx 2' to six ' again depending on the authority. The smaller size is usually to make mowing easier and very few full length stone surrounds are allowed these days.
In the early years after a burial, problems with the headstones are between the family and the mason but after longer period of time has elapsed and it appears no one is attending to the grave then the council/authority have to act.
This is done by writing to the last known address of the grave deed holder and they are given a certain period of time to make good any repairs, which is usually a case of the headstone being unstable. If nothing has happened after the time period then the headstone is made safe. Unfortunately the easiest and cheapest way to do this is to lay the headstone flat ( councils could never afford to pay masons to do the repairs- one cemetery I was at had over 70,000 burials). Some cemeteries have now started laying concrete beams in the burial plots and this does away with problems of subsidence.
The problem is,as some mentioned earlier, the compensation/health and safety culture we now live in and councils/authorities are scared of falling foul of this- a large part of many councils highways department budgets are put aside for claims from people tripping over broken paving stones.

As for missing headstones the two main causes are vandalism and accidents when mowing/digging graves.
Some councils have removed the headstones altogether from graveyards/cemeteries under their care, again probably for H&S reasons.

Hope this has helped a bit and makes sense.

Mick
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

GALL-Norfolk,Cardiff,LondonTHOMAS-London,Herts,
PRIOR-N.Ireland,WOODS-N.Ieland,
DAWKES-Warks,DAVIS-Warkes'Wales,
JENNINGS-Surrey,Warks,London,SHELDRAKE-Essex,London,
BRITTON-Berks,BLAKELEY-Dewsbury W.Yorks

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 April 06 00:18 BST (UK) »
Mick,
This really is the definitive answer to my original posting here.  Thanks so much for all that precise information...
Very many thanks,
Keith

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 January 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Headstones will often be laid flat on a gravestone when the ground start to become unstable.  Remember 6 feet below there wil be a human sized void & all that heavy earth has to go somewhere, usually down.

As for the upkeep of graves, my understanding is that the family look after the grave & any markers, but the ground surrounding belongs to the cemetary.  So as family members die off, no one visits and the graves become overgrown.

As for re-using I was very concerned about this & contacted the cemetary where my gran is buried & they informed me that they have NO intention of reusing old graves.

To be quite honest & probably cold to some of you out there (sorry) I am of the belief that we should all now be cremated as the land now required is just not available without re-using old graves.  Just how many graves there are out there that no-one visits, or no-one is left to visit, you can understand why some councils and private owners would consider re-using old graves.

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)