Author Topic: Finding a distant rellie quite by chance!!  (Read 1195 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Finding a distant rellie quite by chance!!
« on: Thursday 30 March 06 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

How about this for finding a distant rellie by sheer chance!!

About three or four years ago I attended a regional history conference representing my local history society and county history association as I sat on the committees of both!! (I don't any longer, but that's another story!!) The local association was hosting the event.

Anyway, during the event (actually at the lunchbreak!!) a history society colleague introduced me to another society member whom I had heard of but never met as she contributed now and then to the monthly newsletter. We got chatting and one of the subjects that came up was family history. At the end of the event as we made our way to respective cars in the carpark, we struck up conversation again, about family history.

It went something like this!! I think I said something about it being ridiculous that two members of the same society (I was one!) were researching ancestors in the same tiny village in Essex (although not connected.) She asked me what the name of the village was, so I said Fobbing, she said I have ancestors there too! I asked her what name she was researching and she said Laver, I nearly fell over in shock!! I said your joking, so am I and then added not Mary Ann Laver surely and guess what!! Yes your're absolutely right she was!! I nearly screamed in delight!!

After we parted company, I sat in the back of the car of my society colleagues in stunned silence the whole 25 minute journey home!!

I still shake my head in disbelief when I think about it now!!

We have stayed in touch ever since and we subsequently discovered that we only live half an hour apart!!!

We are now part of a family loop on the internet which consists of at the last count 15 distant relatives descended from the same couple, but now spread all over the world!!

Just goes to show you never know!!

Regards,

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a distant rellie quite by chance!!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 March 06 10:52 BST (UK) »
What a terrific story, David!

Just shows that you always need to keep the antennae up and be prepared to talk about your interests!!

I had a similar meeting, though it hasn't paid off in terms of family history, but in other ways!  I was having dinner at the home of friends, and mentioned that some of my ancestors lived around Barcaldine in Queensland.  One of the other guests pricked up her ears and said, so did some of mine, they were Crombies.  Well, it turns out that we are about fourth cousins, and have enjoyed each other's company since!  She lives half the year here in Australia and half the year in France, and I am planning to visit her in France in September.  We are both Francophiles, but obviously she speaks much more fluent French than I.  And we share mysterious French ancestors, about whom little is known, and hopefully she will do some research in France for us!!!  ;D ;D

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 06 00:04 BST (UK) »
Great story David.

I am always telling my guests about my "hobby" and half of them go home and start their own research once I have given them a few sites to visit (Rootschat included)

I am always listening out for anyone mentioning names and I am the worst person to be around if you are a guest from North Wales, Northumberland or Scotland and you have a name that is in our tree lol. Then you have ot go through 20 questions going back to at least your great grandparents before I am satisfied that there is no link but you are kept at the back of my mind just in case

Am I just being obsessive with this do you think?  :-\

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 April 06 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Am I really supposed to answer that!!! ;D

I may be dropping myself in it by mentioning this to you, but I have ancestry in Northumberland and Scotland as well!

Regards,

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 April 06 00:48 BST (UK) »
Ah ha!!

But what names from those areas?

And as for your Great Grandparents  -  names and dates of birth please lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 06 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Is this 20 questions then!! lol  ;D

FIFE & AITCHISON in Midlothian.

FIFE, AITCHISON & HILL in East Lothian.

AITCHISON & HILL in Roxburghshire.

HILL & PARKER in Northumberland.

Only one set of Gt Grandparents from this area and they are:

Isabella Hill Born 1895 Blyth Northumberland and died 1981 in the same place, she married Arthur George Cyril Bauer B 1895 Kentish Town, London and died 1968, Isleworth, London!

Any connection!!

Regards,

David

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 April 06 01:04 BST (UK) »
Wow are you the lucky one (or maybe not depending on which way you look at it)

Have no Fife, Parker or Hill. The Aitchison is used as a middle name and is linked to the Horsburgh side from East Lothian and Berwick area so maybe a distant link to the Horsburgh or Blackhall side

Oh well!   :-\   I will just have to keep listening lol

Carol

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 April 06 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Missed one!!

Not definate, have yet to confirm, but I possibly have a DAVIDSON link in Roxburghshire!!

Not quite sure how, but this one slipped my mind!!  ???

Regards

David

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 April 06 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Our Davidsons come from Edinburgh to start with but may have moved around a bit - hubby's great grandad went to India and I think the rest moved around Scotland so check those details haha

Carol