Author Topic: My Nan's Memoirs!  (Read 1014 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
My Nan's Memoirs!
« on: Thursday 30 March 06 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Has anyone else been left memoirs written by a relative or ancestor!!

My nan, who died suddenly in November last year, wrote and completed her memoirs just before she died. Although she was 89 when she died she looked 15 years younger and was in good health. She first used a computer at the age of 85, it held no fear for her at all!!

I knew that she was writing her memoirs, as we had spoken about it, although she had to me that "you can't read them until they're finished!" What I didn't know was that she had finished them. As it had been thought that she would write uo to a particular point in her life and then stop as this was what she had intimated, but she brought it up to date!

I haven't read them yet as I'm waiting for my father to email a copy to me! It should be a fascinating read!!

Regards,

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: My Nan's Memoirs!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 06 20:46 BST (UK) »
Sounds a wonderful idea.  :)
How forward thinking of your Nan to do that. I'm sure you will treasure it all your days.
                    Patricia  :)
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
Cutts: London;Derbyshire; Yorkshire;Lancashire
One Name Study -  OCCOMORE
~~~~~~~~-------
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 06 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

I sat and made lots of notes with my gran whilst she was still alive. My gran was born in 1908 and could remember her father going of to fight in the first world war with her uncle. My gran sat and talked all about these times, who her teachers were and how her mum would leave her in the cot and go out to work, then her own gran would come and get her and look after her whilst her mother worked.

My gran could remember how much her dad earned and how much housekeeping he gave to her mum. All the storys were lovely to listen to, I would never have found out quite so much through other sources. I am lucky that I took the time and did it, my gran died two years ago and those memories would have gone to, but now I have those memories written down to pass on to my two dd's.

Lemon

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 06 21:09 BST (UK) »

Hi David,

What a great lady she must have been and what a great stories she must have left you.

I have just started reading "Nellie's Book" by Chris Foote Wood (Victoria Woods brother) Nellies book was started by Nellie Wood,  Victoria's mother and after her death Chris Wood researched a little further the information and has now published this book.

I myself love and buy lots of these books with the hope that it may give me an insight on what life was like at those periods of time in those places. This you have at first hand.

Enjoy every word

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 06 07:04 BST (UK) »
I have copies of both my Aunt's and my Fathers Memoirs already. They are still alive, but they both wrote their stories after hitting retirement age (65). Some of my Aunt's stories can be read on my website. :)

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 March 06 09:08 BST (UK) »
David you're so lucky!

I wish I had done that kind of thing with my nan when she was alive :-\ and she was always so willing to talk about her childhood.

But as I was only little at the time, all I was interested in was getting her to play with me! ::) Now I've got to solve all the problems by myself! >:(

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 March 06 10:45 BST (UK) »
David,

You are really lucky, and what a bright, remarkable woman your nan was!  Starting to use a computer at the age of 85!! Wonderful!

I am fortunate to have some memoirs from an uncle and a great-aunt for one line of the family, which are very valuable.  I begged repeatedly for another aunt to write her memoirs - they would have told me so much! - but sadly she died before she did this.  If only!!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 March 06 10:54 BST (UK) »
David,
Its great to have them.
My aunt wanted to tell me her memories in person as she felt she couldn't do them justice over the phone or in a letter, but sadly she died after a banjacked operation in Africa (they gave her the wrong medication).
This is her http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ab/ She lived with her grandparents for most of her childhood and would have been able to tell me so much.

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 April 06 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

You are all right, she was a wonderful lady, and I shall always miss her!

I plan to sit down with my Grandmother (my late mother's mother!) and record her memories!! She has already told me quite a lot, only I haven't written them down yet, very remiss of me!!!

Regards,

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)