Author Topic: Bracadale 1881 help with location please  (Read 3542 times)

Offline emmajo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bracadale 1881 help with location please
« on: Thursday 30 March 06 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have tracked down the family I am after to Bracadale in Skye. I have an address of "Grule" and then lots of 'Smacks' i.e Smack "Jane" Of Soay Loch Oynart and Smack "Kelly" Of Portree Lock Oynalt. Before "grule" there is Crackinish. Can anyone tell me if these are houses, villages or streets? I would like to pinpoint the family on a map so I can get a feel for the area.  Thank you
Emma
All Wadhurst Sussex families pre 1901, Ford of Fletching and Rotherfield, Allen of Fletching, Cockman -London,Shearley- London,Knight -Shadoxhurst, Carpenter -treyford,

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bracadale 1881 help with location please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
A smack is a fishing vessel.

All those mentioned had at least one man on board and so the boat was enumerated as if it were a house!

Grula and Eynort are small settlements at the head of Loch Eynort - the road from Carbost goes through Glen Eynort.  Kraiknish is a small settlement on the south shore of Loch Eynort, accessible by forest track from Grula.

Bracadale parish covers a large area.  I wonder if this numbering is the way of the enumerator to distinguish between households at a particular croft or farm.  I can't think of any other reason.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 06 22:27 BST (UK) »
I've found all of these places on the 1881 OS map available on the old maps site:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk

but it takes patience and lots of panning to find them.  Look at a current map then start at Bracadale and work your way south and slightly east on the old maps.  It will probably take about 20 clicks of the southerly button to get you there.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emmajo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 March 06 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Little Nell

Thank you so much for your help, I am off to old-maps to have a look.

Cheers
Emma
All Wadhurst Sussex families pre 1901, Ford of Fletching and Rotherfield, Allen of Fletching, Cockman -London,Shearley- London,Knight -Shadoxhurst, Carpenter -treyford,