Author Topic: How good is your local records office?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Dougalmac2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How good is your local records office?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 April 06 08:40 BST (UK) »
Mac,
I haven't personally ordered certificates from Manchester, but I know people who have and they reported no problems.  One thought did occur to me - it wasn't Tuesday when you tried to contact them was it?  I think quite a few of the registry offices were closed due to the local government strike.
Carra

Hi Carra

It was actually on the Thursday when I tried to contact Manchester, not the Tuesday.  I'm glad you gave the report that you did as it would be nice to think that we will receive the service we would like.  Perhaps I caught them on a bad day.

Incidentally not all the registration offices were on strike as we used the on in Banbury that day.

Cheers,  Mac
Macdonald/McDonald Kent, Edinburgh
Simpson Lancs
Lomas,Lancs
Fawcett Lancs
Smith Staffs
Freakley Staffs
Gillingham Kent
Varney Oxon
Varney Warwicks,
Humphrey Northants
Mayo Northants

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 April 06 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Nashua,

Thanks for that, it was how I originaly understood the system to work, but thought that I had become mixed up with the talk of Record Office and Register Office. I am now clear again in my own mind - thank you.

Lemon

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 April 06 19:00 BST (UK) »
I've used Pontypool - excellent  ;D
Tredegar/Bedwelty - excellent  ;D
Yate - very good  :D
Abergavenny - excellent  ;D

Not biased towards the Welsh offices - honest.  Yate was great, v helpful, just a touch slower than the others.  :-\

As I have said before (on other posts ;D), the local offices have even phoned me when the details don't quite match...and guess what it's always me that's wrong  ;D ;D

Never used the GRO and won't unless it's absolutely essential... and it hasn't been yet ;D
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk