Author Topic: Wareside - Mardocks Farm  (Read 8259 times)

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
Re: Wareside - Mardocks Farm
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Chelle,

How interesting!  Peter Cornish (who is always helping people with their Hertfordshire questions :-*) will send me some information regarding my Josolyne family.  As I understand it Thomas Mumford Josolyne married Mary Ann Simms of Mardocks Farm.  I can't remember exactly when they married but it was pre 1836.  To take a guess (my notes are upstairs on the other computer which my son has taken over!) I would think between 1820-1830.  Do you know the history of the Farm?  Were your gg grandparents tenants or owners?

Anna
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline Chelle in a box

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann
I will try and give you what I can but it will be over a few feedbacks as I tend to ramble on a bit!
My Richard Hoare took over farming Old Hall Farm Much Hadham (just down the road) when his father died in 1831. He married Elizabeth Chapman from Standon in 1836. All his children were born at Mardocks farm. The first child was born in 1836. He was there in 1841 and 1851 census but in 1861 he was farming at Matching Tye. He died 1863. According to Jane Webb he must have been a tennant farmer. I have no proof of this or that he owned it. They seam to be a well off family according to their wills. And I have documents for the buying and selling of other property. ..... so that's puts your family at the farm before mine I suspect.

I have a phot which I will dig out and scan at some point of the farm.

I am going through the Miscellany book and I will give you the snippets of info that Jane has recorded that I think you may find interesting.
A william Biggs owned Mardocks around 1794.
Thomas Bird of Mardocks in1672
Thomas Cass and Henry Bawcock of Mardocks in 1691
Sir John Watts of Mardocks approx 1646

Mardocks farm sts down in a valley but the Mill which is no longer there was nearer to the road. there was also a railway which is also no longer there which ran adjacent to the road.
John Kilbourne was a station master and lived in part of the farmhouse. He died in 1879
Jane makes reference to a John Josolyne's Boarding school, Wareside in 1796. Thomas Josolyne was Head master 1841 census. John died in 1828. Thomas was a man of considerable means and inherited Ingletts Hall and cottages in Tatling town and rented several acres of land close to the school. Thomas wrote a propsal of marriage to Mary Anna Syms in 1830. He died in 1850. He had 3 sons. I hope I'm going on about the right person for you here!
There is an extract of the tythe Awards 1845 it says The small wood by Mardocks farm house Owner: Ed Wilkinson Occupier Richard Hoare. Grammer School and Orchard Owner: Thomas Josolyne Occupier Thomas Josolyne.
Hope this helps for a moment.
Kind regards
'Chelle
HOARE Hertfordshire

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 April 06 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Chelle,

Many thanks for your reply.  Yes, you do have the right Thomas Josolyne.  I also heard that Thomas inherited Ingletts Hall but I cannot find any reference to this place, past or present.

Peter Cornish has very kindly sent me some information about the letter that Thomas wrote to his intended, it makes very interesting reading.

Thanks again for your help.

Anna
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 April 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Chelle,

I have found an interesting link:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bewickgenealogy/census/ware.htm

It mentions the Hoare family living at Madox (Mardocks) Farm, Ware

Anna