Author Topic: Family Autograph book  (Read 718 times)

Offline Hopton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Autograph book
« on: Saturday 01 April 06 11:29 BST (UK) »
When I was a small child, I was given an Autograph book. not knowing anybody famous I asked my family to sign it. not only did they sign it, but they wrote some lovely comical poems in it.
Here are just a couple of them, does anybody know where they originate from or have any more to add?

Its hard to loose your old friends,
Its hard to loose all hope,
But its harder still to loose your towel,
when your eyes are full of soap.

Think of me when you are lonely,
Keep for me one loving spot,
and in the depths of your affection,
Plant a sweet forget-me-not.

As you go through life,
Don't look for faults,
And even if you find them.
Tis wise and kind to be sometimes blind,
And look for the virtues behind them.

Sadly a lot of these relatives are no longer, but I always smile when I read through my Autograph book.

Janet.
Hopton in Yorkshire, Simkiss in Manchester, Oldland in Staffordshire, Garratt in Northamptonshire, Thornthwaite in Cumberland, Wolfenden in Oldham, Howe in Cumberland/Westmorland, Taylor in Cumberland/Westmorland, Shaw in Cumberland/Westmorland, Lee in Rochdale,  Jackson in Burnley, Shotton in Northumberland/Durham, Slater in Skipton, Laidman in Northumberland.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family Autograph book
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 06 13:33 BST (UK) »
What a lovely keepsake, the verses certainly made me smile though i haven't a clue were they originate.

Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk