Author Topic: McCalmont of Islandmagee  (Read 3908 times)

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
McCalmont of Islandmagee
« on: Saturday 01 April 06 21:30 BST (UK) »
If anyone has the opportunity & time to look for the birth of Alexander McCalmont, born about 1854, died 25 September 1939 or Thomas, born 28 November 1859, died 14 June 1903. Their father was John McCalmont, a farmer/sailor, mother's name unknown. There may have been a sister of the sons, named Martha.
The children of Alexander & Eliza Jane Colville were born & raised at Ballymoney, Islandmagee, Antrim. The children were born Presbyterian, most likely 1st Islandmagee where Sandy & Eliza were married.
The family grave is at St. John's, Ballyharry, Islandmagee.
The children of Thomas & Bessie Patterson were born in Carrickfergus.
 If I could get the name of John's wife & children's mother I might have a major breakthrough in my research.
I am also looking for any stories about the Larne-Islandmagee ferry operated by my uncle Sammy McCalmont & his business partner Dougie Hood from 1953 to 1982.
Thank you to any who can supply information.
Roger McCalmont    Moderator Comment: e-mail address removed in accordance with Rootschat Policy - please use the Personal Message system to exchange  contact information
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: McCalmont of Islandmagee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hiya Roger,

It might be worthwhile posting a message to the Islandmagee and District Conservation Society.
Their address is shown on this site One of their members might know about the Larne/Islandmagee Ferry http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/county/antrim.html The librarians at both Carrickfergus and Larne may
also be able to find some information about the Ferry. Carrickfergus library has a great collection of books related to the East Antrim area.

I've linked a couple of your other threads to this one.

McCalmont Grocery
McCalmont, Islandmagee

All the Best, Chris

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: McCalmont of Islandmagee
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 07 14:08 BST (UK) »
Roger,

The Discover N. I. site has a page about the Larne - Islandmagee Ferry Service.

The Ferry was involved in saving people when the "Princess Victoria" sank off the Copeland Islands in 1953. That was a year prior to your Uncle Sammy and Dougie Hood working on the ferry.

Christopher