Author Topic: Help with a translation needed  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a translation needed
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 April 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Zelley

Many thanks for that idea, I will do so now

Take care

Half Pint
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 April 06 21:51 BST (UK) »
The song was featured at the start of the film Empire of the Sun, starring John Malkovitch.   The young boy, Jim (Christian Bale), gives a great rendition accompanied by the choir of what was supposed to be the Anglican Cathedral of Shanghai.
Great because it was actually sung in Welsh.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 April 06 22:02 BST (UK) »
Suo is to lull or hush, gan is the mutated form of can (with circumflex over a) a song.   So I suppose suo can is a lullaby - the beautiful music seems to be .
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 April 06 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Yes, the song is beautiful, and gets better the more you listen to it.

Can I change the subject please.

I see your surname interests include Popple (Rutland).

You wouldn't happen to have a William Popple (Bill) b1918c who married Grace Harrison b1918 in Sellafield, Cumberland but living in Leicester when they met.  They had three children Jacqueline, Keith and Shirley.

If so Grace was my grandads youngest sister.

Fingers crossed.

Take care

Half Pint
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 April 06 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Half Pint,
Unfortunately I don't have these Popples.   My direct link with the Popples ended when Elizabeth Popple reinvented herself when she married Joseph Mawby in 1859.
The only line I have info on in the 20th century are descendents of Percy Popple b.1881 in Leicester.   His chidren by his first wife, Lucy Ann Stafford, were William, Arthur, James, Mildred, George and Rose born between 1900 and 1912.   By his second wife, Rose Hannah Stafford (kept it in the family) Percy Ebanesa, b1922 and Lilian I. J., born 1929.
I do however have Popples going back to 1755.
I'll get in touch with a genuine living Popple and ask him if he knows of your line.
Cheers Dave

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 April 06 21:10 BST (UK) »

Hi Dave

Sorry we don't have links but it would be fantastic if you could ask someone.

Happy hunting

Half Pint

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 April 06 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hope to have good news soon.
Cheers Dave

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 April 06 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks

Half Pint

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 April 06 21:56 BST (UK) »
OK Half Pint my contact would love to hear from you and has allowed you to look into his family tree website.   I'll send you a PM.
Cheers Dave