Author Topic: Gower Pontnewynedd Forge  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gower Pontnewynedd Forge
« on: Saturday 01 April 06 23:33 BST (UK) »
Looking for my gt grandfather's family. I have them on the 1841 census in Trevethin but have drawn a blank in the 1851. My gt gt grandfather's name was Edward Gower and his wife was Jane. My gt grandfather was Thomas and he had a brother John who was living with Thomas and his wife Catherine (nee Jones) in 1861 in Briton Ferry nr Neath. I can't seem to find any other members of the family after 1841. Can anybody help?
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gower Pontnewynedd Forge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 06 00:07 BST (UK) »
1851 - is this the family?

HO107/2449 Folio 261  Page 36
Pontypool

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 06 00:45 BST (UK) »
Unable to locate Thomas in Wales 1851.

1861 - Edward c1826 mistranscribed as Gowie, if interested in locating

Cas

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 April 06 17:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much this is great.  It is the family.

Don't know what happened to Thomas in 1851. He married my gt grandmother in 1858 and he was working as a bricklayer in Maesteg, which is where he presumably met Catherine Jones because that is where she lived.  At the time of the marriage he was living in Prospect Place  in Maesteg. and his father is on the certificate as an agent.  On the certificte it says that Thomas was of full age. I originally assumed that he was 21 but he was nearly ten years older than her because she was born in 1838.

On the 1841 they had a 1 yr old son named David so possibly he died between 1841 and 1851. There was also a son named James who was two years younger than Thomas.

Thank you very much again. It has also cleared up something else. My sister says she can remember my grandmother talking about an Aunt Martha well this proves it. I will look for Edward on the 1861.

Regards

Mary
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 April 06 20:34 BST (UK) »
You could also try this link to see what Gower BMD there is in Aberdare (re Edward 1826) not sure, but if found may have Jane's maiden name or even possible marriage?  I would ask for a broad look up on the name Gower, they are very helpful.  Scroll to Glamorgan then Aberdare. 

http://www.parishregisteruklook-upexchange.co.uk/index.htm

Cas

Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Cas

Thanks for all your help. You will never guess what I did or rather didn't do. I did not print the 1851 because I was in a hurry when I looked at it and hey presto it was gone when I checked your messages last night.

I had a quick look at the parish register and the marriages from the Glamorgan CD.  James and Elizabeth who were married in 1792 in Llangyfelachl look a good bet. If I remember rightly Edward and Jane Gower were born in Llangyfelach.

I''ll look up Edward as you suggest and let you know how I get on.

Thank you for all your help

Regards

Mary