Author Topic: James Scott born Brigg Lincoln  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Scott born Brigg Lincoln
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 April 06 23:32 BST (UK) »
More thoughts ...

There's also the possibility that George SCOTT never existed but was made up for respectability's sake at James's marriage.

His mother (nee SCOTT) may have married before 1841 and he took his stepfather's name until the time of his marriage.

I've seen it before.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohninAus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 April 06 04:04 BST (UK) »
The George Scott who mar Elizabeth Hill in Winterton,1835 seems to be the one in Wrawby (ie Brigg) in 1841. At least that gives us a George Scott , ag lab , in the Brigg area, who could have fathered a child in 1831 (ie 1841 age of 25 could have him born 1811-1815):

HO 107/650/10 Pg 12 Wrawby

George Scott 25 ag lab
Elizabeth Scott 25
Mary Scott 5
Hannah Scott 2
John Scott 6m
Thomas Hill 20 ag lab

Mary(5) was bap in Wrawby in 1836 , which puts the family there , rather than Winterton, closer to James' assumed birth date.

The IGI batch which purports to give us Wrawby baptisms 1816-1836 (C033841) probably doesn't...can't see any prior to 1836.(I was searching for any James)

Tough one

John

LINCOLNSHIRE: Sergeant, Dent, Watts, Fussey, Portas, Middleton, Bullivant, Howson, Lingard, Arliss, Laceby, Holtby, Lamb, Host, Stark, Hicks, Cuthbert, West. DEVON: Parkhouse, Brace, Mullins, Luxton,Cook ,Nicholls, Ley

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 April 06 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi John

You got me looking as previously I've found some Wrawby baptisms

There is also batch C024478 - it has 14 James' bap 1827-37 - but they are all apparently to married couples.

If James was illegitimate, it would be unusual for him to live his life with his father's name rather than his mother's maiden name (although ruling anything out is a risky pastime).

Offline TinaS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 April 06 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Thanks for the interest.

I have looked at what you have suggested and been very interested in your ideas, and I wonder where you get your information from?

It's frustrating not knowing where I can get pre 1837 information on Lincolnshire and of course the information for the 1841 census.

Thanks again.

Tina
Rust , Patmore, Bearman, Perkins, Scott, Swift, Ball, Wysall and many more.

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 April 06 17:19 BST (UK) »
You'll find the International Genealogical Index (IGI) at www.familysearch.org - it contains references to millions of baptisms and marriages.  Note that it is only an index enabling you to find possible events - it is not a set of absolute facts.  Some of the stuff has been submitted by people from their own family tree files and may not be correct.

You can also search the same data - at specific locations - by use of this site

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle

Offline TinaS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 April 06 20:56 BST (UK) »
 :)Thanks Geoff

I know of and have used familysearch, (have their vital records cd), but the other site is new to me.

I agree with you that care should be taken with some of the information gathered from the site, but as with any information it should be always verified personally; or at least by someone you trust.

If anyone can add anything to this I would still appreciate some help.

Many thanks

Tina

Offline Mborrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 May 06 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Tina
        Have you solved your SCOTT riddle? i have SCOTT'S in Wrawby connected to my KENDALL line (this is a side branch) the information is below I don't think we share a match but it will help you eliminate them from your research
Maria

Descendants of Thomas Scott
Generation No. 1

1. THOMAS1 SCOTT was born Abt. 1789 in Dewsbury Yorkshire, and died Bet. 1851 - 1861. He married FRANCES KENDALL 25 May 1810 in St Mary's South Kelsey Lincolnshire (Source: Parish Register.), daughter of THOMAS KENDAL and REBECCA SHAW. She was born Bef. 15 February 1790 in Scunthorpe Lincolnshire (Source: IGI, C028441.), and died Bef. 9 November 1865 in Elsham Lincolnshire.

Children of THOMAS SCOTT and FRANCES KENDALL are:
i. ELISABETH2 SCOTT, b. Bef. 22 August 1814, South Kelsey Lincolnshire.
2. ii. THOMAS SCOTT, b. Bef. 13 April 1817, South Kelsey Lincolnshire.
iii. SOPHIA SCOTT, b. Bef. 24 March 1819, South Kelsey Lincolnshire.
iv. ANNE SCOTT, b. Bef. 6 May 1821, South Kelsey Lincolnshire.
v. JAMES SCOTT, b. Bef. 27 February 1823, South Kelsey Lincolnshire.
vi. HANNAH SCOTT, b. Bef. 31 January 1825, South Kelsey Lincolnshire.
vii. BENJAMIN SCOTT, b. Bef. 14 February 1827, South Kelsey Lincolnshire.
viii. REBECCA SCOTT, b. Bef. 15 February 1829, South Kelsey Lincolnshire.
ix. JOHN SCOTT, b. Abt. 1832, Wrawby Lincolnshire.
x. GEORGE SCOTT, b. Abt. 1835, Wrawby Lincolnshire.
xi. EMMA SCOTT, b. Abt. 1837, Wrawby Lincolnshire.

Generation No. 2

2. THOMAS2 SCOTT (THOMAS1) was born Bef. 13 April 1817 in South Kelsey Lincolnshire. He married MARY [--?--]. She was born Abt. 1810 in Elsham Lincolnshire.

Children of THOMAS SCOTT and MARY [--?--] are:
i. JOSEPH3 SCOTT, b. Abt. 1857, Wrawby Lincolnshire.
ii. ANN E. SCOTT, b. Abt. 1859, Wrawby Lincolnshire.
iii. SELINA SCOTT, b. Abt. 1860, Wrawby Lincolnshire.
BOCOCK:-Lincs
BORRILL;-  Hull (occ Bakers) & Grimsby
CLARVIS:- Any
KENDALL:-N.Lincs, Hull (1860+) esp Primitive Methodist's

Offline TinaS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Mborrill

Sorry for taking so long to come back to you, but I was off-line for a while and have only just got up to speed with all the email and other things I had to do.

Thanks for the information, I was not wholly convinced that it might be Wrawby, but now I am sure it is not.

I must admit I think I might have found the answer.  Since Ancestry.com added the 1841 census to their site I have found a possibility that I think might be the answer; although on first sight the family do not look very promising.

I have checked them out in the 1841 where they are living Wickersley and 1851 census where they are in Rotherham (which would put James in the right area) and although they originally say they are all from Yorkshire a couple of anomalies have shown up.

In the 1851 census:

George c1897 and Ag Lab, born Beckingham, Yorkshire except that Beckingham is Nottinghamshire;
Wife Sarah c 1804 born Retford, Yorkshire except that Retford is Nottinghamshire;
Two children are born Bawtry, Yorkshire except I am not sure which county can claim Bawtry as I was unable to find it under Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire or Lincolnshire, but it seems to be on the border of Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire;
and the youngest son is born Rotherham.

James is missing from the 1851 census so I am unable to be sure of where he was born; but because of the positioning of the places where  they are born it is quite possible that they were in Lincolnshire for James’ birth.  You can virtually draw a straight line from Rotherham east through Bawtry and on into Lincolnshire ending in the right area.

So the likelihood is that George Scott married Sarah (I think there is a possibility that her maiden name was Boswell) not in Lincolnshire, but either in Nottinghamshire or Yorkshire.

Anyway I am hoping now to track down James in the 1851 census as there is a good chance that he did not know where he was born (it would be his first census) and could have thought he was born Wikersley, Bawtry, or even Retford or Beckingham.

If anyone knows of this family and can either rule them out or confirm I would be really grateful.

Regards

Tina

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 18:49 BST (UK) »
I presume your James Scott is the one who married Harriot Hague December 1862 Rotherham Vol 9c Page 637? (if so it looks like she had son William, who is with them in 1871, before her marriage to James?) (other bride is a Mary Ann, so not sure if this is the right marriage, as 1861 census below would fit with wife "Ann" better)

Heres William in 1861 anyway, not yet found James in 1851/61  :-\

1861 RG9/3503 Folio 16 Page 26
65 Westgate, Rotherham

Joseph Hague 55 Wheelwright and Poulterer
Ann 61?
Jane Steer niece 12 Scholar
William Hague grandson 7 Scholar

All born Rotherham

and next door is a Scott family, could it be James brother? -

Richard Scott 26 Mon....er? Bawtry
Elizabeth 21 Sheffield
Frederick 2 Rotherham