Author Topic: Zyilpah Fairey born Ellington  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Zyilpah Fairey born Ellington
« on: Sunday 02 April 06 15:25 BST (UK) »
Searching for parents of Zyilpah Fairey born Ellington c 1861.  There is a birth of a Zilfer Fairey recorded June qtr 1861 Huntingdon.  There is also an Azilpah Fairey aged 9 born Ellington, living with the Wright family in 1871 in Gt Stukely, and a Zyilpah Fairey aged 19 born Ellington, living as a servant in the household of Joseph Tars in Streatham in 1881.

I have not been able to find any other records, and assuming that this is the same person, since the age and place of birth agree, am wanting to find Zyilpah's family. Can anyone help, please?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Zyilpah Fairey born Ellington
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 06 15:40 BST (UK) »
Your best way forward would be to send for her birth certificate and then you would have her fathers name and mothers maiden name :) :) :) :)
By the way she was registered as Zilfer :)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 06 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Nessie.  I was just hoping that she appeared in somebody else's family tree, as I'm not sure that she belongs in mine.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Bodgertree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bodger and Restall Family Tree research
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 08:42 BST (UK) »
I have marriage St Neots district 1859 to Charles Bodger b 1831 Graffham to Naomi Fairey, b Easton 1835 married St Neots district. They lived in Aldershot, emigrated to Australia, had one child John Charles William Fairey Bodger. She died in 1880 Eversdale, Victoria, Australia. Charles and son returned to England. Naomi's mother was Thomasin Voss, born Lawson but prob daughter of John Dixon. Thomasin married Richard Voss. Eventually as a widow emigrated to Kansas, America with 3 children. Another son, brother of Naomi went to Australia and another to New Zealand. I have no information who Naomi's father was, a Fairey, presumably born before Thomasin married Richard Voss. I can't link Fairey's into my Bodger/Wright tree as no details of her father.
Bodger, Seymour, Reed/Read, Brooks, Toplis, Daw, Laverick, Lodge, Matthews, Beamont, Booz, Sansom, Bussens, Coggin, Claxton, Cox, Griffin, Grey, Willoughby,Luscombe,Hicks,Paddick,Stevens,Sturgess,Shulver,Boxall,Baker,Gray,Church,Chubb,Lowe,Hooper,James,Keen,Capell,Dennis,Disbrowe/Desborough, Saunders,Perkins,Lyne,Layton,Leadon,Martin,Wombwell,Would,Newman,Hornsby,Chandler,Shawley,Brimmel,Vintner,Restall,Ricketts,Porter,Kneller,Mullens, Rayner,Bailey,Perratt,Dugan,Marks,Ayling,Quarm,Parfitt

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Bodgertree.

I have replied to this via a personal message, as Naomi is definitely one of my Faireys, and I have lots of information about the family.

Would just say for anyone else reading this string that Naomi was the daughter of John Fairey and Thomasin Lawson, Thomasin being the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth Lawson and probably John Dixey (BVRI).  Elizabeth went on to marry Richard Voss, and it seems likely that Thomasin was generally known by her mother's and step-father's surname, Voss, though her marriage entry actually gives her birth name, Lawson.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 April 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
Interesting follow-up to the Zyilpah Fairey saga - it seems she  travelled as an unmarried woman to Australia in October 1888, travelling on the SS Austral, and arriving in Victoria.  Naomi Fairey Bodger entered Victoria with her husband James (Charles was his father) on the SS Foreign Rights in January 1865, but died in 1880, so Zyilpah wasn't going to join her.

I am waiting for Zyilpah's birth certificate to arrive to determine whether or not she was Naomi's relative.

So if anyone out there in Oz has Zyilpah among their relatives, please let me know!

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 May 06 12:20 BST (UK) »
To follow up on Zyilpah/Zilfer Fairey's family - her birth cert has now arrived and says that her parents were William Fairey and Ann nee Judge. 

She was born in Ellington 01.06.1861.  I have found her parents and younger brother Dennis in 1881 living in Huntingdon. It would appear from this that she is a family member, though not from the line I had expected.   Dennis appears in Huntingdon in 1901, but I can't find him in 1891.  Could he have emigrated with her in 1888 and come back?  Can't find a record for that.  It's pure speculation, I'm afraid, but if anyone can help with more info on William & Ann, Dennis and other possible children, I'd be grateful.  (And yes, I do know that 9 year old Dennis was imprisoned for stealing a loaf of bread and some fruit in December 1876!  Poor little chap, he only wanted to bring some Christmas cheer to his family.)