Author Topic: STURDY Family  (Read 8625 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
STURDY Family
« on: Saturday 31 January 04 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone else researching this family name? My Sturdy ancestor is Susannah Sturdy baptised 25 June 1739 at Nun Monkton, Yorkshire, her father was Oswald, he does not appear to have been baptised or married in Nun Monkton. ???
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barry Sturdy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:STURDY Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 March 04 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have just started to trace my family tree and I have a Great Great Granfather called James Sturdy born in Yorkshire in 1858. He was a Mason. He married Elizabeth Abbott in 1898. Any relation?

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 04 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barry,
The short answer is sorry but I have no idea whether or not your James is related to my Sturdy family.  My Sturdy line ended with a Susannah Sturdy who sometime between 1743 and 1766 went to Essex and married my ancestor William Adams.  Susannah Sturdy was baptised 25 Jun 1739 at Nun Monkton, three other children baptised there (that I know of) Oswald & Thomas 21 Jul 1736 & Elizabeth 21 Nov 1743.  Susannah's father was Oswald Sturdy, unfortunately the PR did not give her mother's name and I have yet to locate the marriage, which appears to be not in Nun Monkton.  The Nun Monkton PRs were checked out for me by a professional reseacher.  I had searched Essex for years looking for Susannah's birth/baptism, in the end I was alerted by Patrick Sturdy in Chelmsford, Essex (my home town) to an IGI reference of a Susannah in Yorkshire, I was sceptical at first because of the distance between Yorkshire and Essex.  Info identifying Susannah as my ancestor was positive, Sus and William named a son Oswald, a name not found previously in the Adams line and Elizabeth Sturdy was named as a witness at their wedding.  Also no evidence of Susannah being married or buried at Nun Monkton.  I live in Australia so I doubt I will be carrying out research on any of Susannah's siblings or their descendants.  To be honest I don't hold out much hope of even finding Oswald's (senior) marriage or his ancestors, I really am clueless !! ;D  By the way Patrick runs the Sturdy (and variants) family "One Name" group in the Guild of One-Name Studies site, email: sturdy@one-name.org   If you haven't tried that group it might be worth your while, he personally is researching a different Sturdy line to mine and no doubt has Sturdys from a number of areas.  Where in Yorkshire were your Sturdys located ?  Anyway nice to hear from you, sorry I couldn't be of help, good luck with your research and you never know we may link up.    

Offline BUSHPILOT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 March 04 02:39 GMT (UK) »
HELLO, I AM DONALD STURDY AND I TO HAVE JUST STARTED TO RESEARCH MY HERITAGE.MY GREAT GRANDFATER IS THOMAS WILLIAM STURDY,BORN MAY 14 1882 IN WAKEFIELD ENGLAND AND WAS A COOPER BY TRADE. HE AND HIS WIFE  LILLIAN MARGRET CAME TO CANADA WITH TWO CHILDREN AROUND 1910 WITH TWO BOYS JOE AND LEONARD(MY GRANDFATHER).AT THIS POINT I KNOW LITTLE MORE AS HE WOULD NOT TALK ABOUT HIS REALITIVES IN ENGLAND, WHY I DON'T KNOW. IN MY SEARCH I FOUND A WEB SITE BY HEATHER MACALISTER htt://www.genealogy.co.za/sturdy.htm this site is loaded with sturdy information. good luck....cousin?

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 March 04 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Donald, I hadn't come across Heather's site yet, I note a lot of Thomas Sturdy's in it, I would not be at all surprised to find that Oswald's father was a Thomas.  Disappointing no Oswald to be seen but "them's the breaks". I haven't studied it properly yet but at the very least the towns/villages may provide clues which up to now I was badly lacking.  I suppose this is a silly question but have you tried the UK Censuses (whatever is the plural of census, censi ??) and putting a note on Rootschat board in all the Ridings.  Having your gt grandfather's DOB and trade must be a plus.  As for Cousinship, you never know !!, Wakefield is not far from Nun Monkton so a link is possible, incidently I have a fifth cousin in Canada on my Essex/Norfolk Dalton family line.  If you do find a Sturdy link I'd be pleased to hear about it.  Good luck with your research, Derek.  

Offline mr_fusion0

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 April 04 23:57 BST (UK) »
hi im adam sturdy born 07-09-1978
my dad is called robert sturdyborn 08-09-1957
most of my sturdy family come from scotland.
ANYONE shed any light ??? :-\

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 April 04 13:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I have no info of use to you, what little I have is Yorkshire and Essex based.  As your Sturdys are Scots you would be better posting on one of the Scottish Boards, if you haven't already done so.  You would first need to have more info, such as grandparent's/gt grandparent's date and place of birth, marriage details etc.  Might be a good idea to visit the beginners forum on Rootschat to get a few ideas on starting out to trace your family tree.  Good luck with your research.