Author Topic: Svombo, Svambo, Swambo, Suombo, Svompos, Swanbo etc.  (Read 5928 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Svombo, Svambo, Swambo, Suombo, Svompos, Swanbo etc.
« on: Sunday 01 February 04 02:52 GMT (UK) »

Hello everyone,
One of the names that my family and I are researching is 'Svombo' along with all its many variants.
This name seems to have originated in Hydra, an island off the Athens area of mainland Greece. Where it came from before that is a matter for conjecture.
Some people with this name now live on the Greek mainland or on other Greek islands; some emigrated to America; and one - Nicolas Svombo- travelled to Cardiff, via Ireland (probably Queenstown, Cork)
Nicolas married an Irish girl called Ellen Barry and had a son named Lasaros, before moving to Cardiff in Wales. Now many of his descendents still live in South Wales, while others live in North Wales or in England.
We have a fair amount of info that we could share with interested relatives and would love to hear from others. Any new details - and especially photos, would be much appreciated. It's always good to keep in touch with relatives! And very special to get to know long-lost cousins!
All the best!
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Svombo, Svambo, Swambo, Suombo, Svompos, Swanbo etc.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 February 04 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Sure enough there seems to be a concentration of the name in Cardiff Wales.

I have found 15 Swambo's and 4 Swanbo's in Cardiff in the electoral roll. If you would like this info send an email to me direct as I wouldn't like to cut and paste names and address on the webboard.

Jen :)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Svombo, Svambo, Swambo, Suombo, Svompos, Swanbo etc.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 February 04 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jen - I'll do that!
This is a really good website - very helpful!
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline Martindodd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Svombo, Svambo, Swambo, Suombo, Svompos, Swanbo etc.
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 July 04 16:52 BST (UK) »
Tricia_2

This story about the arrival of the name Swambo in Cardiff is the same as the story my mother tells about her great grand-father coming from Greece via Ireland to Cardiff.

Does anyone have any more information about their children? The surnames Buckley and Dunn are also in my family and my mother has relatives in Cardiff called Swambo.

Ther cannot have been many people with that name who came from Greece married Irish women, and then moved to Cardiff so I'm sure I must be linked to this story. Also members of my family have been found to carry the Thallasaemia gene so there's a Mediterrnean link somewhere.

Martin Dodd

Offline lilcutestuff

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 December 04 16:26 GMT (UK) »
http://

HI there,

I'm a Swanbo and was born and bred in Cardiff - My father is Nicholas Swanbo and we both carry the beta Thallasaemia Gene!

I've tried to perform genealogy searches before and have never come up with any information - very excited to find others who may well be related! ::)

Offline Martindodd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 05 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lilcutestuff

I've just rediscovered this site and will bookmark it to check if you reply.

My mother says her grandfather Matthew Svambo married Joannah Buckley and had 7 daughters and a son named Nicholas who later played Rugby for Wigan.

Apparently they changed their name to Swambo to sound less foreign!

Could it be that Nicholas Svambo had many sons, perhaps including your father, or grandfather, but the surname changed, in different parts of the family? Was your fathers fathers name also Nicholas?

I would guess that it was not my mothers grandfather but great-grandfather who made the journey from Greece via Ireland, but the story skippped a generation.

Do you think there may be a link here?

Martin

Offline Ambrosia_rock

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 05 20:37 BST (UK) »
heya ima swambo also... ;D
um just wunderin if there is n e others that live around the cardiff area.....or n e where else in that case   ;)
k so if thr is mail me geko_egg_2005@hotmail.co.uk
hear form u sewn xxx   ::)

Offline Peter Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
  • To a genealogist a step backwards is progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 21:56 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Maria Calliope Svombo she was born in 16th January 1871 in Cardiff. She was baptised on 17th October 1871 in St David's Cathedral, Cardiff. She was married on 15th December, 1896 in the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Cardiff to William Spencer of Ebbw Vale. She died on 18th April, 1919 in Wakefield, West Yorkshire she is buried with her husband in Wakefield City Cemetery in plot 657F

Regards

Peter  :)
Spencer, Svombo, Barry, Pardey, Rolf, Whitewood, Wadham, Cotton, Cooper, Fry, Wheeler, Whillier, Willier, Eldridge

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 November 06 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I only just got back to this thread.

Peter and Martin I am already in touch with, I'm pleased to say. Hello both! :):)

Ambrosia_rock & Lilcutestuff, I am really pleased to make your acquaintance!  :):)

The name, being non-English, was written in many ways and they all seem to go back to Nicholas. He and his wife had at least ten children.

Since working on the family tree, I have been lucky enough to make contact with lots of long-lost cousins. It's great!