Author Topic: Gosling/Rowland/Bradley  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gosling/Rowland/Bradley
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 March 21 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, William Gosling did indeed move to "rural Cheshire" with his wife Alice and became a beer seller. Alice continue the business in Broom Edge for a number of years after William's death. Their son John Gosling (by coincidence also married an Alice) was a Police Officer at Wharton before he moved the family to Stockton Heath, Warrington where they added a son to the family my G grandfather.   

So we’re [remotely] related then! Thanks for the info, at least I know I’m on the right track.

Intresting to know that William lived on Chapel Street in 1851. I used to live just round the corner on Wesley Street!

EDIT - whilst William may have become a "beer seller" in later years [I've yet to research this] in 1861 he and the family were living at High Legh (just south of Lymm) and he was a Police Constable.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 April 21 23:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry I'm a bit behindhand replying here: I believe (but can't prove) that Alice Johnson was the illegitimate daughter of  her older "sister" Elizabeth (look at the age gap), which explans the absence of a father's name on her marriage cert. There's a very iffy baptism for Alice, daughter of Thomas Johnson (weaver, of Bosden) and Elizabeth at St Mary, Cheadle on 1 October 1826 - possibly a combination of her mother and grandfather's names. (I can't find any other Alice Johnson who matches this birth date.)

William Gosling was possibly the illegitimate son of Anne Gosling, baptised as William Rowland Gosling in Bosley on 26 Feb 1825 - that's the best match I've found so far. :/ On the 1841 census he's a 15 yr old silk weaver lodging in Bosden, which isn't a lot of help.

Most of what I know is summarised on my website: https://www.angloswiss.site/gosling

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 April 21 14:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry I'm a bit behindhand replying here: I believe (but can't prove) that Alice Johnson was the illegitimate daughter of  her older "sister" Elizabeth (look at the age gap), which explans the absence of a father's name on her marriage cert. There's a very iffy baptism for Alice, daughter of Thomas Johnson (weaver, of Bosden) and Elizabeth at St Mary, Cheadle on 1 October 1826 - possibly a combination of her mother and grandfather's names. (I can't find any other Alice Johnson who matches this birth date.)

William Gosling was possibly the illegitimate son of Anne Gosling, baptised as William Rowland Gosling in Bosley on 26 Feb 1825 - that's the best match I've found so far. :/ On the 1841 census he's a 15 yr old silk weaver lodging in Bosden, which isn't a lot of help.

Most of what I know is summarised on my website: https://www.angloswiss.site/gosling

Rambler

Excellent website Rambler and a couple of interesting theories - it hadn't struck me about Alice but it's  part of my tree I haven't done that much work on recently. Alice's sister Elizabeth was my GGGG Grandmother so I suppose I should give it some serious thought.

Elizabeth's father was also "Thomas Johnson a weaver from Bosden [1841-61 Chapel Street]".

Ray

Offline Menai Bridge Preacher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 April 21 07:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Manchester Rambler. That is a fantastic website/piece of research and has provided me with lots of clarification, some fascinating facts and lots to study this weekend! My mother is going to be over the moon with this additional info as the Goslings are by far her favourite part of my own family research. My mother is the only daughter of Elsie Grace Gosling and Samuel Alfred Leech. Her grandparent being Alfred Sidney Gosling.  All the best for the weekend MBP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 September 21 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray T,

Apologies it's been some time but I'd like to thank you for this bit of info " Interesting to know that William lived on Chapel Street in 1851. I used to live just round the corner on Wesley Street!"

This helped me confirm where Chapel Street was as I've been collating location pictures/maps recently.

It was my attention to visit some of the Gosling locations when I return to the UK but unfortunately due to current travel restrictions I haven't been able to get back for 2 years.

Anyhow it's been good to re-visit the research over the last few days and continue to puzzle about the known facts and theories.  All the best. MBP

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 09:19 BST (UK) »
You’re welcome. Anything else, don’t be affraid to ask.

Ray (currently in Scotland)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 September 21 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ray, much appreciated. Noted you're in Scotland which reminded me of another mystery when my DNA revealed I'm 3.6% Scottish, Aberdeenshire!  :)

All the best
MBP (Hong Kong)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 September 21 18:09 BST (UK) »
We’re only here on holiday - driving home tomorrow!

I’ve yet to discover any Scottish ancestry. My main line goes back to the 18C and didn’t move more than a mile or so of Chapel Street.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 September 21 04:12 BST (UK) »
Ah I see...thanks Ray and have a safe drive! You've got solid Cheshire roots then. I guess as this thread confirms I can go no further back with the Gosling line for now. It starts with William and Alice and for me ends in Anglesey. I haven't found any Scottish ancestry either but I'm sure it's on my mother's side Gosling/Leech as my late father's family goes back generations in one Anglesey parish. 

All the best.
MBP