Author Topic: Abercarn Councillor c.1906  (Read 5553 times)

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
  • There was a hush in the passion play
    • View Profile
Re: Abercarn Councillor c.1906
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

Just a quick update, the Welsh Labour Party office did not hold any records but have suggested a book 'Old Abercarn UDC & Pantside, Newbridge & Crumlin Book - Vol 1' which looks like this http://www.csbooks.co.uk/acatalog/info_OB_8573.html

I would be grateful if anyone visiting the library could have a quick look for this volume if they have time, if it does contain any suitable photo I can try to get a copy sent to Folkestone.

They also mentioned the South Wales Argus too - obviously a newspaper of note  ;D

Thanks again, Steph.

Edit - the South Wales Argus is accessible at the British Library so I'll be able to have a look there later this year  :)

Beer (Kent)
Hall/Halle  (Stafford/Enfield/Folkestone)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)
Southan/Southen/Southern/Southon (Kent)
And more (there are always more!)

All census info: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Join Stumble and lure others into Rootschat!

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 17:15 BST (UK) »
Update #2

I e-mailed the Newport Reference Library and they have kindly searched their microfilm holdings of the South Wales Argus and the West Mon. edition of the Merthyr Express for 1906 but no luck.

Still waiting on a response from Gwent Records Office.

Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
  • Can't stop until I know everything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 19:47 BST (UK) »
I went in there today but couldn't have a look at the 'Argus' archives because all the film readers were being used.  Have they been through all the editions for 1906?

They did have a copy of the book. 'Old Abercarn UDC & Pantside, Newbridge & Crumlin'.  This is mainly about Pantside with some pictures regarding the other places.  I went through it from cover to cover and found no mention or picture of Thomas Griffiths.

But................

They have copies of 'Johns Directory of Newport' going back over 100 years and although this mainly covers Newport there is information about nearby villages.

The 1906 has a list of the members of Abercarn Urban District Council but Thomas doesn't appear - probably published before his election.

The 1907 does show him - as a member for the North Ward.  He is also a member in the 1908, 09, 10, 11 and 12 editions.  He isn't a member in the 1913 edition.

I also checked the 1909 register of electors for Abercarn but couldn't find him.  Of course Abercarn UDC would cover a much bigger area than just the village of Abercarn.  As he was a councillor for the 'North Ward' he might have lived in Newbridge, Crumlin, Treowen etc.

Hope that this helps.
Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Denben,

Thanks for that information, it does help, not least because my geographical knowledge of the area is zilch  ::) 

The lady from the library said she had been through the microfiche for 1906 so I assume she meant all of it.

Thanks also for looking through the book, I hope it wasn't too boring.  I hope you had enough time to do your own research too.  I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)