Author Topic: Duthie and Peat  (Read 4288 times)

Offline skye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duthie and Peat
« on: Tuesday 04 April 06 23:43 BST (UK) »
Searching, optimiscally, after many culdesacs, for anyone who might know details of Robert Duthie and Rebecca (rebekah)Peat who married in St. Cyrus in 1805. Have details of their children but none of their parents.

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Duthie and Peat
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Skye

Me again!  Just wanted to put this out on the forum in case it might be helpful to others.  Remember in Scotland that if your couple married before statutory registration  began then the best bet to find parents names (if the couple continued to live and die in Scotland after 1855) is to firstly search for the DC of the wife by Maiden surname and Married surname.  In this case you'll easily locate Rebecka (I think it was spelt that way this time but use the wildcards I told you about to be sure!!!) dying some years after 1855.  You also could get lucky and pick up the name of a son in law informant that could assist in tracking down some of the children's lines.  ;)

Best wishes
Jean

Offline skye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 13:58 BST (UK) »
Dear Jean,
                Cannot thank you enough. After more than a year I have found Rebekah's DC using your suggested method. Yes! That was my Rebecca you found. Poor woman ended up as a pauper on the 1851 census. Looks very much as if Robert was dead by then. Probably a daft question but is there any way of finding out about DC's pre 1855. Thought of going to Montrose Library??
          Many, many thanks again.
  Yours,
          Skye.

bervonian

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 14:10 BST (UK) »
I expect you found her death at St Cyrus in the year 1865 ?There are no death certificates as such prior to 1855.  Usually there is just a record of the hire of the mortcloth (used to cover the coffin).  Many parishes do not even have a record).

Bervonian.

bervonian

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 14:43 BST (UK) »
I may have discovered when Robert Duthie died.  Concentrating on Kincardineshire, there is an entry in SP for a Robert Duthie who died at Benholm in 1863.  As Benholm is the neighbouring parish to St Cyrus, it looks hopeful.

Bervonian.

bervonian

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 14:52 BST (UK) »
Doh !  I've just remembered that you found Robert's wife. Rebecca on an 1851 Census as a pauper.  If there's no mention of Robert he would, presumably, have died pre 1855.  Is she described as a widow ?

Bervonian.

Offline skye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 16:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for replies. Difficult to make out but I would say,"yes", it says widow living at, what looks like, 96 Road Side. Doesn't bode well does it? I somehow can't give up on Robert. Thank you for your help.
Skye