Author Topic: Piper in Toppesfield, Poppyhold Lands  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Piperatthegates

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Grandad PC Arthur Piper 1844-1886
    • View Profile
Re: Piper in Toppesfield, Poppyhold Lands
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 April 06 21:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice I will get down there at the earliest opportunity.

Its funny what genealogy throws up isn't it, my family were convinced that they were died in the wool Londoners and had been for Hundreds of years, only to find out that my Great Great Grandfather lived three miles from where my father moving out of London in the 50's settled! and tracing back we are Essex through to the 1650's.

I am Essex based myself so, with a bit of planning it is possible for me to spend a happy day at E.R.O on a Saturday.

Thanks all for your help
Piper, Essex
Piper, London Hoxton Islington

Offline Clincher2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 July 09 00:10 BST (UK) »
I came across this old thread and wondered how you have got on with your Pipers not least because, in common with many other Essex parishes, digital images of the Toppesfield registers are viewable on line and the extent of the damage to them is all to evident.
I wonder if you have accessed the transcripts available under the rference T/R 168/16 at ERO

Offline Piperatthegates

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Grandad PC Arthur Piper 1844-1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 March 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have been away from Genealogy for just over a year following the sad death of my dear old Dad, the original reason for getting started in the first place  :) but I am beginning to get the urge to resume.

Well following research that took me to Essex Records office and the National Archives we managed to get a provable direct line back to 1639 where the trail grows cold.

My ancestor Jeremiah and his wife are mentioned in the Manor Court Rolls for the first time in 1639 so it would appear they moved into the Village then. The next door village, Ridgewell, has Pipers but I just cant prove he walked the 4 or so miles from Ridgewell.

Along the way there are many side stories that are interesting, many questions that will never be answered and many interesting characters, thats what I call History  :)

Piper, Essex
Piper, London Hoxton Islington