Author Topic: HAMMOND family Walkern Herts  (Read 2283 times)

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HAMMOND family Walkern Herts
« on: Wednesday 05 April 06 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Iam hunting for descendants of the Hammond family from Walkern, Herts, particularly of Frederick born in Walken in 1867 or his known children Cecile and Montague who were born in Bygrove Rectory. Their mother was Alice. More than anything I would love to know what happened to his sister Ellen Marie Calland Scoble (nee Hammond) who disappeared off the planet after 1903. Frederick brought up her child Vernon.

Can anybody shed any light on this family?

Many thanks

Brigcs ;)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HAMMOND family Walkern Herts
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 April 06 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigcs

Sorry  :( I have no answer for you - just wanted to clarify some things, so someone else might be able to help!

Ellen Marie Calland Scoble nee Hammond:
Following is from FREEBMD:

born registered as Ellen HAMMOND June Qtr 1873
parents: John HAMMOND and Eliza

her husband Henry George CALLAND-SCOBLE(double barrelled name*)
or alternatively Henry George C SCOBLE 
married Lambeth Surrey/London Sep Qtr 1898

(*This is why we capitilise surnames in Genealogy, to avoid the confusion with middle names , place names etc  - I thought her married name was just SCOBLE from your post!)

her son:
Vernon Claude CALLAND-SCOBLE or Vernon Claude SCOBLE born Dec Qtr 1903 South Stoneham, Hampshire.

So, you say she disappeared off the planet in 1903.Did Henry disappear too? Are there any family 'tales' as to what became of her?

What records have you already searched to try an locate her after her son Vernon was born and under what name variations?
From what period do you date Vernon being raised by his Uncle?

In Census 1901, in Kensington London:
Henry G C SCOBLE, age 27 born Westdrayton Middlesex, Occ: Property Manager.
Helen SCOBLE, age 28, born Walkem Herts

I can only see the index for 1901.....do you know if it was just them alone?
Did they have a son born Cecil Douglas M SCOBLE  or Cecil D M CALLAND-SCOBLE in Fulham Mar 1898, who died:
Cecil Douglas Mac W CALLAND-SCOBLE in Fulham  Dec 1899

Best wishes
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 April 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ambly.

Wow you have all the facts right. I take the Calland (Scoble) family back to Exmouth in 1841. George Calland Scoble married in that year in Sidmouth as a Calland Scoble. His Dad was given as George Calland and so is George (junior) in the 1841 census. The name is all very confusing. '51 he was recorded as Callands.

Anyway back to 1900s. We know nothing of Ellen Marie (sometimes Helen!!! aaah) after the birth of Vernon. Henry George resurfaced in about 1910 in Australia, we have copies of love letters that he wrote to wife no. 2 and from his mother in Reading. Vernon was brought up in Norfolk by an Uncle Hammond. We assume Frederick. I can't trace Ellen's death and we don't understand how she could have left a son having already lost another one. The letters do not mention Vernon. The Australia descendant s of Henry George traced us, we would not have known they existed, they didn't know about us either but traced us via the name on Google!

So there you have this strange tale. All my father-in-law  wants to know is what happened to his gran. We have a letter written by Vernon in the 60's after a trip to Somerset house but even he didn't know what happened to his parents and never knew about half brothers and sisters.

Any help you can give in the right direction would be wonderful I've checked deaths abroad and still can't find Ellen. Mind you my own wedding isn't in the right place either.

Happy Easter.

Best wishes

Brigcs

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 06 01:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigcs

Gee, that's a sad story, but very intriguing at the same time - what a bit of luck having connected to the Aussie Calland-Scobles though.  And the names must be a nightmare to look for!
CALLAND, CALLAND-SCOBLE, CALLANDS, SCOBLE, HAMMOND, H/Ellen  H/ellen Marie???

I'm afraid I can't think of anything positive to help only ask questions!

I imagine you've considered, if she didn't die around time Vernon born, that she may have reverted to her maiden name. Have you gone the (expensive!)route of checking all deaths and poss re-marriages for a likely Ellen?

When Henry remarried, did his marriage record state he was a widower or divorced?

When did he arrive in Australia? Was the passenger list checked for Ellen?

Have you tried to track any of her other siblings besides Frederick, whose children you mentioned above, (as I can see on Census 1881 - Elizabeth, George, Bertha, ALbert ) their descendants  may have heard a tale handed down as to what became of "Aunt Ellen".

Was Vernon born at home, or in a hospital - if the latter could records survive that may or may not mention Ellen if she died at that time?

Well, again sorry I can't be more help, but hopefully someone on RC may be able to pick up the baton.

BTW, on Genes Reunited there are 3 others listing Ellen HAMMOND 1874 of Walkern - are you in contact with them? And there is 1 listing an Ellen HAMMOND 1874 London... And there is Vernon's seaman's record in the National Archives too?

All the best
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 06 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ambly,

You gave me food for thought. Its always brilliant to have imput from somebody with fresh persepectives as you can easily think you've hit a brick wall.

You mentioned Vernon's naval record. I hadn't mentioned that he was at sea so I twigged that there must be something I could find. When we give the record to my father-in-law today I am sure he will be delighted. What a shame it didn't mention next-of-kin!

You have also given me the idea of finding out Henry George's marital status when he got married for the 2nd time. An e-mail will be winging its way via cyber space to find out of they know in Australia. I've never managed to find passenger lists that would help me but I have tried. I've also tried to find HAMMOND and CALLAND-SCOBLE siblings but not had any luck. I can just take them back for a few hundred years and not forward. Genereunited has been brilliant for the Hammond family.

I hope that you have had a good Easter. Many many thanks for all your help.

Best wishes

Brigcs