Author Topic: BOWIE /WINKS FORRES 1828 Help!  (Read 9878 times)

Offline xinca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BOWIE /WINKS FORRES 1828 Help!
« on: Thursday 06 April 06 14:42 BST (UK) »
hi
I am currently tracing my family tree and have been for donkey years
 I am searching for  the Wink or Winks family from Forres.
I have a Christina Wink married 1828 to Peter Bowie Forres there also a connection with Kinloss area their children are

William Bowie born 1829

Jean Bowie-1831

JohnBowie- 1834

James Bowie -1837

Alexander Bowie-1840

Peter Bowie1842.

My  line is from John

John Bowie married Ann Forsyth 1860. There children are.

Alexander Bowie -1860

Christina Bowie -1862

John Bowie -1863

James Bowie-1866 (my great granddad)

Jessie Ann Bowie-1868

Isabella Bowie - 1870

PeterBowie- 1872

and another Alexander born 1874

The first Alexander died two years after his birth in the parish of Rothes still trying to figure out what he died from  the writing  on the certificate is quite bad. 

I have not found out what has happened to the rest of the brothers and sister I have a postcard picture of Christina Winks( I think it's her but it could be her daughter in law Ann)  standing outside a thatched roof cottage the photographer was George Cowie the Elite Studios Forres
My Great Grandad moved to Perth  and married Mary Maxwell in 1886 they lived all of their married life in the same house. there eight children were  all born in Perth.
I have been told that the Wink or Winks family are originally Dutch and there was a Dutch community in the early 1800 in the Morayshire area, I  would love to know if anybody has an idea if this is right  as I am not  living in that area  and have only been to Forres once in my life when I was a child I would be grateful of any help.
Susan
Taylor - Perthshire-Perth
Bowie-Perth -Moray-Forres
Winks-Moray
McMurray-Gate House of Fleet - Kirkcudbright - Dumfries
Murray - Galston

Offline gromit13

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: BOWIE /WINKS FORRES 1828 Help!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 23:37 BST (UK) »
I come from a large family of Bowies in Alves - Alexnder Watt and Elizabeth Jane - they had several children (many still alive and residing around Forres / Elgin / Nairn etc). He died in about 1979 aged 80 and she died in 1990 aged about 93. They resided in Sparrow Castle near Alves and he worked at Sweethillock Farm at one point. There are several Bowies buried in Alves cemetry - certainly I can recall Christina and Isabella being among them. It may not be relevant but I hope this helps. I still have some Alves connections and will ask about the name Wink next time... Good luck

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 07 14:06 BST (UK) »
my 4x gt grandmother was Barbara Wink b 1785 Elgin she was the daughter of Alexander Wink and Margaret Dun from Moray.She also had a brother Charles b 1781 Elgin. Barbara went on to marry John Gray 1st July 1809 in Elgin. sadly this is all I know or can find out about the elusive Winks. Any help at all would be most welcome.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline MMCLJOCKY

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 September 10 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Your Great Grandad James Bowie was a Brother of my Great Uncle John Bowie.
John Bowie married a Jessie McLachlan  ( my hereditary Great Aunt ) on 11th July 1890 at Dava, Inverallen, Morayshire.
Jessie Mclachlan was the Daughter of Peter McLachlan and Elizabeth McDonald who were married on the 6th April 1864 in Mortlach Banffshire ( Roman Catholic Church ), Peter McLachlan originated from County Tyrone Northern Ireland.

Christine Wink's Father was " George Wink ",  Mother " Christina Sutherland "
Christine born about 1810, have not gone any further back in time.

I have traced the Bowies to the present day, a branch live in Shetland, the Mclachlans were the start. my Mother was a McLachlan, her Grandfather was Irish Peter as I call him, this may be of no help to you but it's interesting, we are related somehow.

Cheers

Offline Busy B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 12 03:38 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of James Frank Bowie, born Aug, 1851, we think in Morayshire, Scotland according to a family memory (his death cert lists parents and town as unknown). He immigrated to the U.S. around 1875 and brought an album of Scottish relatives - all unidentified. We do not know his parent's names, but have a note from someone saying he had a brother named Willie and a sister named Maggie. He was supposedly a policeman in Scotland around 1870-75 and brought his police whistle, pistol and a pocket watch made in Dufftown by James Walker with him. I have put together all the info we know on him, along with pictures of the Scottish relatives and his memorabilia on a blog at:

http://busybeetraveler.wordpress.com/2012/10/07/james-frank-bowie-1851-1930-scottish-immigrant/

A Scottish research has suggested perhaps his birth name was James Buie and was the son of Peter Buie and Marjory Garrow... Maybe someone will recognize photos in the Scottish album. Look forward to any input from Scottish "cousins"!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 October 12 18:45 BST (UK) »
Duplicate thread here.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,619524.0.html

Suggest replies are made there rather than here as there is no obvious connection with the family originally referred to in this thread.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Winkles92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 December 22 19:54 GMT (UK) »
The winks are all over Aberdeenshire, Banffshire and moray and more recently, lochaber and invernessshire.

I’d be interested in connecting to see if we can link our family trees?

I’ve gone back to 1700s with my husbands line (the Wink family)