Author Topic: Marble Quarry Grays (Portsoy)  (Read 21611 times)

Offline Stewart 1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marble Quarry Grays (Portsoy)
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 04 November 23 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian - that's very kind of you to reply, and so promptly.

So we have Jean - not Jane; and Boggie possibly not Bogie.

I have this piece of info if its of any use - not sure how reliable it is - from a family researcher back in the fifties:

Alexander's father (a Schivas Gray?) was employed by the Laird of Auchintoul, Mr Morrrison, on the river Don from 1735 until 1746, when he joined Bonnie Prince Charlie's army at Culloden where he died of wounds. His only son, Alexander, was raised & educated by Morrison, trained as a gardener. Then employed by Abercrombie of Forglen (Near Aberchirder on the Deveron) where he met Jane, daughter of Laird of Towie.  They married and left Forglen to Marble Quarry Farm near Portsoy in 1768 where he market-gardened.   

There is no mention of Alexander's mother. I wonder of anyone knows any more about his father?

"daughter of Laird of Towie" - not sure if that's short hand for illegitimate - the laird appears to be a Barclay.   I assume Abercrombie was the Gardener/factor of Forglen. 

Thanks for the information. Appreciate it.

Hello have you anything to pinpoint Alexander’s fathers name as Schivas as I have been told  it was John  Gray. of  or  working at Muiresk nr Turriff .
There are at least two Auchentouls one on the  river Don near  Alford the other at Aberchirder or Foggie . The Foggie one is the most likely due the connection to it and Laithers next to Muiresk  at Turriff never mind the distances involved .
If you can confirm something about this ‘ Schivas Gray ‘ and any chance of this leading to the Estate of Schivas thst would be interesting . There is a Duke of Gordon connection to Schivas  estate and a Gray connection too . With the John Gray supposedly being killed in Duke of Gordon’s army at or enroute to Culloden this Schivas connection might just be the reason for ‘ being taken under the umbrella of the house of Gordon ??

Offline markreynier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 05 November 23 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Stewart 1

The only reference I have (attached) is an old hand written tree of Frank McDavid circa 1950. In it he writes:

‘a Gray of Schivas m but wife died prior to 1745. This Gray died of wounds at Culloden 1744 in army of Prince Charles Edward Stewart. M 1740.     Bogie Laird of Towie.

The Gray of Schivas went to work for the laird of Auchintoul 1735 (?). After Culloden, Alexander Gray , 5 years old was left in the care of General Alexander Gordon, the Laird of Auchintoul who looked after and educated Alexander before the latter went to Forglen House.  Alexander went to Forglen House where he met and married Jane Bogie and went to Marble Quarries where William and 2 sisters were born”.  There appears to be a Gordon and Gray connection to Schivas estate predating John Gray, though the Gordons of Schivas appear to be of the Gordons of Huntley

You suggest Alexander’s father’s name as John Gray of, or working, at Muiresk nr Turriff.

And your proposal of Auchintoul at Aberchirder makes perfect sense. Though I am unsure of the reference to Foggie which is new to me. Laithers, I see, he acquired in 1712.

From his book of the History of Peter The Great: https://archive.org/details/historypetergre00gordgoog/page/n14/mode/2up 
the Major General Alexander Gordon of Auchintoul was born the 27th of December 1669, eldest son of Alexander Gordon and Isobel Gray, daughter to Gray of Braik, brother to Lord Gray. His grandfather, George Gordon of Cocklarachie, bought Auchintoul. Descended from the Gordons of Craig.

“In the year 1699 or 1700, he married his friend General Patrick Gordon’s daughter, then the widow of Colonel Strashurgh, a German; by whom he had several children, who all died in their infancy.”

Returning from Russian military service  “soon after his arrival in Scotland he caufed make an addition to his land, house of Achintoul; and in 1712 purchafed the barony of Laithers in Aberdeenshire.”

“From 1727  he returned to Scotland till 1739, when his lady died, he enjoyed all the happiness that results from a country retirement, an agreeable neighbourhood and universal respect. Sometime after his lady's death, he married  Mrs, Margaret Moncrieff, eldeft daughter to Sir Thomas Moncrief of that ilk; with whom he lived very happily till the end of July 1752, when he died in the 82nd  year of his age, of a tedious illness occasioned by the ftranguary and gravel. He was buried on the 5th of August in his father's burial-place at Marnochkirk; and left no issue by any of his wives.”

Returning to Scotland in 1739 when his wife died, a 75 year old war hero, with no surviving children, looking after the five year old son whose father had died in battle makes sense.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 05 November 23 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I am unsure of the reference to Foggie which is new to me.
The planned town of Aberchirder (pronounced "aber-HIRD-er") was laid out on land that belonged to a farm named Foggieloan. The name stuck, however, and most local folk would recognise Foggie or Foggieloan as meaning the place officially called Aberchirder.

You can see Foggy Loan on this map from before the founding of Aberchirder
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14.3&lat=57.55493&lon=-2.63945&layers=3&b=1
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Stewart 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 05 November 23 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Alexander's  birth entry in the old parish registers gives
July 2nd 1733
John Gray in Mains of Muiresk had a child baptised named Alexander. Witnesses William Simson in Machon and James Murray  in Muiresk.
John was baptised next  in October 1735 a nd Andrew 1737. Israel was baptised  in 1743 and James in 1745.
Skip a generation and John (1735)  in Dorlaithers had a son named Alexander in 1761.
1771 shows the baptism of Mary Gray , daughter of Alexander, in Portsoy and a witness is John Boggie in Bridge Haugh near Cullen.

Do any of these names mean anything? Stewart

Offline Stewart 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 05 November 23 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Towie in the Cullen context is a farm near lintmill part of Birkinbog Estate latterly being part of Forglen Estate before being sold off .
The above I received from a family friend on this thread .
Other member had also gone back to this Gray of Braik . It seems there is a rough consensus on direction .
Given Culloden was 1746 is it possible that that Alexander was also there as a boy ?
With the earlier Jacobite rebellion being 1733 one starts to wonder if some of this hand written Gray history may be factually correct but with the wrong uprising  .
Stewart

Offline Jamilah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Message also for Jasmine Gray;
I am also researching on the Gray family in Singapore, whom I believe are related to you. A DNA close link pointed me to research Mr W. G. Gray, your great grandfather, I believe.
Have you heard of a baby (female) born in 1927 who was adopted out? Another parent is Japanese.

Offline Jamilah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 18 February 24 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jasmine, and hello again Stewart1.

'My' branch of the Marble Quarry Grays are actually Stewarts/Stuarts, descended from Ann Gray (1860-1940), daughter of Alexander Gray and Ann Grant who married my first cousin three times removed, James Stewart, in 1879.

I knew a bit about her son George Stuart (1895-1927) who died in Singapore, but not William George Gray.’

Greetings,

I would also like to know more about George Stuart please. I understood that he died in Singapore in 1927. Do you know if he had any children?