Author Topic: could I possibly have a little help  (Read 1107 times)

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
could I possibly have a little help
« on: Friday 07 April 06 09:25 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the marriage of
james Hayfield  born abt 1812 Leicestershire to a Sarah who was born abt 1812  birmingham Warwickshire

pretty sure the marriage would have been in Warwickshire

children I know of are
Ellen  1836
Henry  1838
Sarah  1839
James  1842
Emma  1848

the childrens birth place seems to vary and as I don't know warwickshire I can't tell if they are close places but mostly it is given as Aston sometimes Erdington or Birches Green and once just Birmingham

the family had moved to leicestershire by 1871

I have all census info but would love to find bap records or especially a marriage for James and Sarah

Thanks Teresa

Offline Timmy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: could I possibly have a little help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 April 06 16:56 BST (UK) »
Teresa,

They would probably have been married in the bride's parish - which was likely to have been in Birmingham (Aston, Erdington and Birches Green are all suburbs next to each other, just north of Birmingham City Centre).

I've looked at the familysearch website but can't see a marriage, so you'll probably have to search through the parish records for Birmingham, starting with churches in the areas of Aston etc.   It could be a long job!

On the positive side, if you can spare the £7+ for each certificate, then you could get the birth records for some of the children. Civil Registration only started in July 1837, which would probably be too late for the marriage.

If you got a birth certificate for one of the children it would tell you the mothers maiden name and probably her address.

On    www.freebmd.org.uk    I've found the following likely candidates:

December 1841 quarter
James Hayfield      registered in Aston  Vol 16  Page 206

March 1844 quarter
Eliza Hayfield        registered in Aston  Vol 16  Page 214

September 1848 quarter
Emma Hayfield      registered in Aston  Vol 16  Page 215

These look like the correct volume and page number to me, but you might want to check them before placing an order.

Certificates can be ordered directly from the General Register Office:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/

Regards,

Tim

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 April 06 18:47 BST (UK) »
You could also try

http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/

where Family History Societies make their indexes available online. It is the Federation of History Societies website. Once you register you can check what is there and then you pay a small fee to see the information (about as much as is held on the IGI - it is indexes). There is a marriage on the website for a James Hayfield somewhere in the Birmingham area in 1834. It will cost you all of 7 pence to see the details and if it is the marriage you are interested in it will save a lot of time and effort trawling through Birmingham parish registers.
Of course I can't say it will be the right marriage even if it is to a Sarah. You can only be 100% sure as Tim says if you have further evidence such as a birth certificate which gives Sarah surname to cross check against.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 April 06 23:15 BST (UK) »
many thanks to you both I will set to with these avenues straight away

teresa