Author Topic: 1871 Census - Scott - Cobham?  (Read 765 times)

Offline peggypatch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1871 Census - Scott - Cobham?
« on: Saturday 08 April 06 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would be really grateful if anyone could find William Scott in the 1871 census. He would probably have been around 31 and possibly was born in Ireland. He was in the Cobham area in 1867, so maybe still around there in 1871.

Many thanks
Peggypatch

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census - Scott - Cobham?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 April 06 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggypatch

Could you enlighten us as to what you mean by Cobham area?  There are plenty of William SCOTTs about but not in Cobham.  Do you have any other info about him?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peggypatch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census - Scott - Cobham?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 April 06 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

To be honest I know very little about him and it is all rather mysterious, but here is the story thus far:

My gg grandmother at her marriage gave her name as Amelia Elizabeth Scott Gardner and said her father was called Edward Gardner. For years & years I have been unable to locate a birth for her, my grandmother always said her grandmother was Irish and so I assumed she was born there and that is why I couldn't find her. Then one day I asked my grandmother why she thought she was Irish and whether she had an Irish accent. No she didn't, but the family always said she was Irish. So when I knew she didn't have an accent I renewed my efforts in England. Eventually some kind person on this site came up with an Amelia Gardiner in the 1881 census in a childrens home and gave her birthplace at Wrotham. This led me to the 1871 census where she appears aged 3 born in Cobham living with her grandmother Mary Ann Gardener. So at this point I am looking for her father being Edward Gardiner & I thought it likely her mother was someone Scott, but I still couldn't find a birth reference nor could I find a marriage for an Edward Gardiner that looked likely. So of course, I eventually wondered whether she could have been born before they were married so looked for an Amelia Scott, sure enough the IGI has a baptism for an Amelia Elizabeth Scott, baptised 30/6/1867 in Cobham, the daughter of William & Esther Scott, then I found the birth certificate, which again gives place of birth Cobham, daughter of William & Esther Scott (nee Gardiner). Not what I was expecting as it turns out Esther was the Gardiner and I've found no trace of an Edward Gardiner at all. Anyway next I looked for the marriage of William Scott & Esther Gardiner, absolutely no trace. So at the moment I am thinking that they probably weren't married at all and that the relationship broke down quickly as by 1871 Esther & Amelia were living in Ash with the grandmother and going by the name Gardner again. Another kind soul on this site responded to my query for a William Scott in Kent in the 1861 census and came up with one who was 21, Irish and living in Canterbury.  I was hoping that by some miracle he might pop up aged 31 somewhere near Cobham - as you can see I'm clutching at straws with this one.

Any help/advice would be gratefully received! Bet you wish you hadn't asked now!
Peggypatch