Author Topic: Ballyhale Parish - WALSH/WELCH  (Read 18364 times)

Offline bradhurley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballyhale Parish - WALSH/WELCH
« on: Sunday 09 April 06 06:00 BST (UK) »
I have reason to believe that my Walsh ancestors came from Ballyhale.  This could be confirmed by locating baptismal records for children of Michael Walsh/Welch and wife Ellen Shea.  They had a son James born in 1841-2, and a son John born 1843-1846.  Could anyone possibly look this up for me?  Thank you very much.

This family ended up in Boston, Jackson County Iowa, Dubuque County Iowa, Hillsborough County NH, and back to Boston.

Offline helbyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyhale Parish - WALSH/WELCH
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 September 08 08:57 BST (UK) »
Helen Byrne here from Dublin, Ireland.

One of my relations, John Collins, born 1850 in Kilmacow, Co Waterford, Ireland and died in 1930 in Ballyhale, Kilkenny, Ireland. He married a Mary Walsh (always pronounced Welsh) She was from the Welsh Mountains in Co Waterford, i believe. My father, aged 90 only told me a little bit about her as follows:
 MARY WALSH OF THE WELSH MOUNTAINS.
Added by byrnemt on 28 Jun 2008

Mary Walsh of the Welsh mountains in Waterford looked old to me. However, she was always very jolly person and appeared to display happiness wherever she went.
They had 5 children that he can remember, Bridie, Elizabeth (Lizzie), Johanna, John (Jack) and Margaret (Maggie) Collins.

My dad knew them all.

OHN COLLINS FROM THE HILL (BALLYHALE)
Added by byrnemt on 3 Sep 2008

John Collins was a very handy man and could turn his hand to any type of work, i.e. thatch houses, make hay, etc. He even grew tobacco one time.

He lived in a thatched cottage and he moved  to a modern house near the old house, about 100 yards apart. He went back to remove an outhouse which he had built on the old premises and it collapsed on top of him and he was not found for a number of hours and he died as a result of his injuries in the 1930's. He would have been in his late eighties at the time. (His wife, Mary Walsh  was always known as Mary Walsh, never Collins)

NASTASIA HICKEY
Added by byrnemt on 13 Jun 2008

Anastasia Hickey was the grandmother of Ellen Collins, born January 1897. She had six children and some of them went to Chicago, USA.  Timothy and Patrick went and some of the girls, Patrick had two daughters, one called Adelaide Collins.

Offline AISLINN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 October 08 13:32 BST (UK) »
Irish Graveyard place......: Kilkenny Co : BallyhaleIrish Graveyard place......: Kilkenny Co : Ballyhale. ... Ballyhale is 1.4 miles from Knocktopher graveyard which

Go to GOOGLE  and type in Irish graveyard place...
 you will find the above link...   
There are photographs of the gravestones  in Ballyhale.

I came across this some time ago..

Offline helbyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 October 08 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Aislinn,

Helen Byrne here. Thank you for your reply. I have already seen the site re the graveyards and the grave stones. However, I am going to Ballyhale very soon and will visit the church and graveyard.

However, I am delighted to receive your reply. Do you have relatives from Ballyhale. My dad knows all about it and can remember people there who were born the year of the Irish famine, i.e. 1845.

Regards
Helen

Offline AISLINN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 January 09 18:44 GMT (UK) »
 :)  my gradmother was a Hanrahen from Ballyhale... still got some realtives there ...
Her people were Holdens..

Offline helbyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aislinn,

I will ask my dad to day about the Holdens and Hanrahens.
Regards
Helen

Offline mwwalsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 April 09 14:32 BST (UK) »
I have reason to believe that my Walsh ancestors came from Ballyhale.  This could be confirmed by locating baptismal records for children of Michael Walsh/Welch and wife Ellen Shea.  They had a son James born in 1841-2, and a son John born 1843-1846.  Could anyone possibly look this up for me?  Thank you very much.

This family ended up in Boston, Jackson County Iowa, Dubuque County Iowa, Hillsborough County NH, and back to Boston.
We must some connection.  My most distant known ancestor is Edmund Charles Walsh, born about 1829 in County, Kilkenny, Ireland.  He immigrated to the U.S. to Boston in about 1848.  He learned brick masonry and moved to Dubuque, Iowa where he helped build a hotel there.  He then moved to Harrison County in southwest Iowa where he farmed.  One of his sons moved to Nebraska which is where I'm from.

I have a 2nd cousin, Dennis Walsh, who has worked hard with a John Walsh to put a lot of information on Edmund Walsh and Walshes in general.  See this web site on Edmund and what it is known about his brothers, sisters and parents: http://www.geocities.com/johnwalsh2/articles/Walsh.htm Broken Link

"Family lore mentions a brother of Edmund named Lawrence who lived in New Hampshire and had a large family. The same family of Lawrence (Leander) and Bridget Walsh onboard the Telassar are found living in New Hampshire"

They believe Edmund's parents are "Thomas Walsh and Mary Keefe (Keeffe, O'Keeffe), who lived in the Ballinteskin area of County Kilkenny."

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 April 09 14:44 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors Walsh or Welsh or Welch from Lincolnshire.The earliest is William Walsh b 1701 in died in Alford, Lincs in 1789. Does anyone have any further information on the migration of this family's ancestral migration from Ireland to Lincolnshire?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline johnwalsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 14:52 BST (UK) »
BRAD<

I can confirm Ballyhale baptisms as follows:

James Walsh, b. 6/01/1941 in Stonecarthy, Ballyhale Parish
John Walsh, b. 10/15/1842 in Stonyford, Ballyhale Parish
Catherine Walsh, b. 4/26/1844 in Stonyford, Ballyhale Parish

Parents were Michael Walsh and Ellen Shea.  Stonyford is located northeast of Ballinteskin, and pretty much due north of Ballyhale (townland).. The Ballyhale parish includes this whole area.  It is far away from Ballinteskin ( where our ancestors come from) that it seems unlikely they are related.  However, there are Sheas in Ballinteskin and they have intermarried with the Ballinteskin Walshs.  Also, you indicated, "This family ended up in Boston, Jackson County, Iowa, Dubuque County, Iowa, Hillsborough County, NH and back to Boston."  This describes our family to a tee.  Also I am intrigued you are a Hurley.  There are Hurleys in the Ballinteskin area, and they intermarried with the Ballinteskin Walshs.  There are also Walshs in Booleyglass ( right next to Ballinteski) that are probably related to our family -- also Lismatigue and Westmoreland.  I think it might be worthwhile having some more conversation about this.  Except for the distance of Stonyford from Ballinteskin it looks like we might be talking about the same family.  Please let me know what you think.

John