Author Topic: Ballyhale Parish - WALSH/WELCH  (Read 18368 times)

Offline mwwalsh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyhale Parish - WALSH/WELCH
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
BRAD<

I can confirm Ballyhale baptisms as follows:

James Walsh, b. 6/01/1941 in Stonecarthy, Ballyhale Parish
John Walsh, b. 10/15/1842 in Stonyford, Ballyhale Parish
Catherine Walsh, b. 4/26/1844 in Stonyford, Ballyhale Parish

Parents were Michael Walsh and Ellen Shea.  Stonyford is located northeast of Ballinteskin, and pretty much due north of Ballyhale (townland).. The Ballyhale parish includes this whole area.  It is far away from Ballinteskin ( where our ancestors come from) that it seems unlikely they are related.  However, there are Sheas in Ballinteskin and they have intermarried with the Ballinteskin Walshs.  Also, you indicated, "This family ended up in Boston, Jackson County, Iowa, Dubuque County, Iowa, Hillsborough County, NH and back to Boston."  This describes our family to a tee.  Also I am intrigued you are a Hurley.  There are Hurleys in the Ballinteskin area, and they intermarried with the Ballinteskin Walshs.  There are also Walshs in Booleyglass ( right next to Ballinteski) that are probably related to our family -- also Lismatigue and Westmoreland.  I think it might be worthwhile having some more conversation about this.  Except for the distance of Stonyford from Ballinteskin it looks like we might be talking about the same family.  Please let me know what you think.

John

Brad Hurley & John Walsh,

Have you considered having the Y DNA of any male of your Walsh paternal lineage tested?  I have had mine fully tested and of a type known as R-L21*.   There is a Walsh/Welsh/Welch DNA project under FTDNA (a DNA genetic genealogy testing company.)
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/walsh/results

I'm part of a Walsh family that went from County Kilkenny to Boston to Dubuque, Iowa.  The Edmund Charles Walsh (W-25) on the web site above.

The interesting part of the DNA testing is that I'm very closely related to two men in the public databases from Wales, on the southern edge of the Brecon Beacon mountains.   Of course, a couple of the Irish Walsh clan progenitors were supposed to have originated in Wales before participating in the Cambro-Norman Invasion of Ireland, c. 1170.

Here is the testing company's web site.  http://www.familytreedna.com/

Mike Walsh

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 18:03 BST (UK) »
See Post 7 above, My Walsh are my paternal 2great grandmother. Could a DNA test establish a WAlsh connection for me?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline mwwalsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 18:11 BST (UK) »
See Post 7 above, My Walsh are my paternal 2great grandmother. Could a DNA test establish a WAlsh connection for me?

Yes, you would have to find a living male relative of your paternal 2x great grandfather and have them tested. It could be a brother, uncle, male cousin, etc.   ... just any male living surnamed Walsh genealogically tied to your Walsh.

It's easy. It's ordering the kit for a Y DNA test and swabbing the inside of your cheek with a piece of cotton (like a q-tip) and inserting it back in the vial and shipping it back in the preaddressed package.

Besides the guys from Wales, I've found I'm fairly closely related to a guy named "Welsh" with an ancestor from County Kilkenny.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 18:18 BST (UK) »
Confirm please you mean 2great grandmother. It's somewhat complicated, but it could be possible.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline mwwalsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Confirm please you mean 2great grandmother. It's somewhat complicated, but it could be possible.
Sorry, I can't say that is a certain option.

There are a couple of types of DNA tests.   The most common type is for tracking an unbroken paternal lineage.  This is called a Y DNA test.  I have the same Y chromosome, barring a new mutation which is fairly rare, as my father, as his father (who is from Iowa), as my father's father's father (who is Edmund Walsh from Co. Kilkenny).   So the Y DNA, barring adoptions, etc. should go with the paternal surname. This tests just the one of the 46 chromosomes every man has.

I presume your 2g grandmother was born into a Walsh family.   That means you'd be looking for any male descendants of her father, father's brothers, father's parternal male cousins.  Of course, normally, that means you'd expect that relative to have a Walsh surname.

The science and cost (like $100 or some cases less) efficiency for the Y DNA there is good.

There are other types of DNA tests that can be used for situations where you don't have an unbroken paternal line to a living person you can test.  One option autosomal testing where they test the complete (or at least of lot of the) set of 44 chromosomes other than the final XY (for a man) or XX (for a woman.)   However this is much more expensive and more difficult to interpret.    These other chromosomes, which decide your height, eye color, etc., etc.  are literally a blend between the father and mother.  After several generations, it may be difficult to find a matching "remnant" of a segment of a chromosome from someone else.  I'm not an expert on this.  Not a lot of people are doing it yet.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 June 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
My 3great grandfather,William Welsh had 3 daughters, and one son also William bapt at WAinfleet Lincs in 1769. If I could find a direct living descendent of him in the male line, then I believe he could provide an appropriate DNA sample. Please confirm.

Offline mwwalsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 June 09 16:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, a direct father-son descendant from the 3g grandfather's son or any sons of any possible 3g grandfather brothers would work.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 June 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
No known brothers, all I have to do now is determine whether the descent followed through to the present day. Watch this space!

Offline johnwalsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 January 10 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Mike,

There are some Hurleys buried here at St. Joseph, Prairie (same cemetery as my walsh ancestors are in).  Do you have anyone who could be there?

John