Author Topic: Elizabeth Williams birth place help - please  (Read 1643 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Williams birth place help - please
« on: Sunday 09 April 06 19:38 BST (UK) »
I am searching for my Great Grandmother's birth place and am totally lost as to where to go next

She was Elizabeth Williams and born in 1872 according tot he census details for 1901 when she was married to my Great Grandfather William Thomas b 1863 Llanbedrgoch, Anglesey

According to the 1901 Census she was born in Llandeussant but when I try to find her in the 1871, 81 and 1891 and born in Llandeussant she doesn't come up.

So we tried to find her marriage. The eldest child was born in 1894 in Bootle but William Thomas (father) was a seaman so that was the reason their first child was born there. The rest of the children were born in Llandeiniolen, Caernarfonshire. The only marriage we could find for William Thomas and Elizabeth Williams was in 1893 in Caernarfon. Both address were in Caernarfon and her father, John Williams (deceased) was a Slate Insurer. So back tot he 1881 with the info on her father and the only one comes up with birthplace for Elizabeth as Caernarfon. The age of William is also wrong as he states that he is 10 years younger than he should be but we do know that he lied a lot about his age as he went to sea at an early age.

So which do I go with? Would her death cert show the place of birth? She died in March 1953 and is buried near Bangor. This lady is causing both myself and my dad some headaches as we don't know which way to turn with her

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Williams birth place help - please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 April 06 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I'm now thinking of this one :-\

First thoughts, you might try a PM to wrjones who I know goes to the Clwyd FHS Centre in Cefn/Rhosymedre most weeks. They have a copy of the Dafydd Hayes Marriage index there and he may be able to find some more marriages.
You can also get a set of possibles from this index by going to Genfair/Family History Books and ordering a lookup - apprx £7 when I used it. Not sure if it goes that far though. I'll have a butchers on some of my sources in the meantime ;)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Williams birth place help - please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 06 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Been having a look at the Multimap of Anglesey - locations of Llandeussant and Llanbedrgoch. I just have that feeling that she's not the Caernarfon one. The trouble is that Angelsey and Caernarfonshire have the highest percentage of Williams surnames than any other Wesh county ???

I'll keep think and looking. I think William might have a go for you as well ;)

D. I. Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***