Author Topic: guidance needed  (Read 1500 times)

Offline tullig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
guidance needed
« on: Sunday 09 April 06 21:00 BST (UK) »
Looking for a little help with a brick wall.
I have a Mary Jones born 1843 Tredegar, father Henry mother Elizabeth Smith(!!!). I have found the family in 1841 living in Uchlawrcoed and then in 1851 in Bedwelty but cannot find them 61 or 71. Mary married in 1865 in Bedwelty and have her on census right through to death but her parents are proving another matter. Henry was born in Meryth 1814 and Elizabeth in Ebbw Vale according to census. I cannot even find a marriage for them.
Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tullig
Powell/Preece: Hereford.
Dyer: Somerset
Mathias: Bletherstone
Jones/Morgan: Tredegar
Nicholson/Pounder/Hastings: Hartlepool
Smith: Agbrigg/Felkirk
Haswell: Sunderland
Hayton: Cumberland

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: guidance needed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 April 06 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Tullig

It helps to start from a detailed census, so

2 Gelli Houses, Bedwellty

Henry JONES H M 40 - iron miner - Glam Merthyr
Eliz W M 37 - Mon Ebw Vale
Benjamin son 16 - iron miner - Blaina
Henry son 12 - ditto - Glamorgan Cardiff
Mary dau 8 - Tredegar
Eliz dau 4 - do
David son 1 - ditto

1851 census  HO107/2448/324/12

They could be among the many missing census records for this area in 1861.

Will have a look

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline tullig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 April 06 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again Arranroots,
This is the one I had and tried to use this info to find on other census but to no avail. I even sent of to the registry office to check that Mary was the only child born between 1842-45 with father Henry, there was another one with a mother Harriett but I cant even find these people on a census to try to confirm which one was my Mary's father. On Mary's marriage she says her father is a carpenter and on the birth record with mother Elizabeth he is a sawyer so I assumed that must be the right one, then I found the 1851 census and father is an iron miner so to check that this was the correct family I purchased youngest sibling birth record and the mother is Elizabeth Smith so he went from a sawyer in 43 to an iron miner 51 to a carpenter 65???
Thanks for taking the time to read and help
Lynn

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 April 06 23:15 BST (UK) »
I can't see them in 1861 - apart from a possible Benjamin who is a lodger (also a possible in 1871 where he is married to an Esther, but guesswork really!)

Will have to come back tomorrow, if no-one has found them by then!!?!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 06 13:33 BST (UK) »
Haven't forgotten about you!  :)

What address does Mary marry from in 1865 and who are the witnesses?  Where did the marriage take place and where have you found her after her marriage?  so often they are found living next door to their parents!

Still looking...

;)

Offline tullig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 06 14:30 BST (UK) »
When Mary married in 1865 her address is given as Tredegar and the witness's are Edwin Jones and William Davies. 1871 census she is in whessoe Durham with husband Morgan and children Mary and Naomie. William Davies is a visitor and also a Reynold Jones. 1881 she is in Gwaun Dwerch Aberystruth and then in 1891 she is back in Durham Stockton on Tees and still there 1901.
Really appreciate your help with this one
Lynn