Author Topic: Anybody know of Fellrigg or Port Cheer?  (Read 3824 times)

Offline westiesmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anybody know of Fellrigg or Port Cheer?
« on: Sunday 09 April 06 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm looking for 2 places - not sure if they are places or house names though  ???

The first is Fellrigg - this appears in books belonging to my grandfather who was born in Upper Monybuie, Balmaclellan. It's written as Fellrigg, Moniaive.

The second is what looks like Port Cheer - on the parish record for my grandad's birth as where his parents were married. It's written Port Cheer, Rerrick in 1895.

I've looked on the old-maps site and found Upper Monybuie but can't find either Fellrigg or Port ........?

Anybody know of them or have any suggestions?

Many thanks, Debbie
Thorpe - Burley, Leeds; Misterton, Notts; Hucknall, Notts; Gainsbro <br />Chapman - Wetheringsett, Suffolk;<br />Redmond - Rotherham?<br />Whitham - Rotherham<br />Knighton - Ilkeston, Derby
Smith, McKune, Rae - Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody know of Fellrigg or Port Cheer?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 June 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie
I thought I knew Moniaive quite well, but obviously not well enough.
I've looked in the post code book for Scotland and Moniaive, I can't find Fellrigg or anything like it. There are quite a number of little hill cottages that are abandoned now, so it might have been one of them.
Where is Rerrick? nearest decent size town would help, then I could look that one up as well.
I know this isn't much help. sorry
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 June 07 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi agaih
rerrick is near Kirkcudbright, but I haven't found out anything about it yet.
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 June 07 23:10 BST (UK) »
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KKD/Rerrick/index.html
Hi Debbie
Here is a page for rerrick with some links from it.
Might help you.
bye for now
revmother

Offline westiesmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 07 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi revmother

I did manage to find out about Fell Rigg. My greatgrandad was a coachman at Upper Monybuie House and we thought he and his family had lived above the stables. We were in the UK visiting family last year and managed to get up to Dumfries for a couple of days. The present owner of Monybuie House was very friendly and gave us what history he knew and showed us the stables, etc. However, on later talking to a new rellie we met while there, we discovered that the family lived a mile or so down the road in a cottage called Fell Rigg. Unfortunately all that remains are a few stones now but at least we know now! We also saw the 'schoolhouse' near the entrance to the estate which is now a residential house.

I wish we'd had longer than a couple of days though. Maybe when the kids leave home we can go back for longer and have a good look around!

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked that for when I have some spare time  :)

Cheers, Deb
Thorpe - Burley, Leeds; Misterton, Notts; Hucknall, Notts; Gainsbro <br />Chapman - Wetheringsett, Suffolk;<br />Redmond - Rotherham?<br />Whitham - Rotherham<br />Knighton - Ilkeston, Derby
Smith, McKune, Rae - Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 June 07 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb
I know where Monybuie is. And I guessed right about Fell Rigg being abandoned. Hope it's been some help to you.
bye
Mary

Offline Molldoll

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 April 08 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you are still looking for "Port Cheek"  Rerrick Parish, Kirkcudbright it is located just south of Dundernnan near Fagra. It is not on any of the more modern maps but if you go to http://www.old-kirkcudbright.net/pages/images/66.gif  you will find it.