Author Topic: Everyone is suddenly into Family History  (Read 4283 times)

Offline Jackienock

• RootsChat Extra
  • A GRUMPY OLD MAN
    • View Profile
Everyone is suddenly into Family History
« on: Tuesday 12 October 04 06:54 BST (UK) »
Have you noticed, how all of a sudden everyone is trying to trace their Family History.

On Sunday night in the Antiques Road Show, Michael Aspel took us to Kew and was searching for his Grandfather. However not only that he got to view the Doomsday Book, Shakespeare's Will and Edward's abdication document.

The programme gave the impression that almost anyone could walk into this place and be presented with ancient documents to view at will. All for free of course and privately, with an expert at your side, to guide you through the procedures.

I'm afraid us mere mortals know better.

No way are we allowed to even see from a distance, the original registers of our own parish.

Due to a smudge on the film that I was viewing at the archives at Dudley, I asked to see the Original register. You would have thought that I had asked to try on the Mayor's chains. No way would they allow me to see the register, even if I didn't actually touch it.

In complete contrast, the local church, where I attend, whose registers they are, loaned me an ancient plan and all the graveyard records of the church to bring home.

Tonight on BBC2 a new series starts and from what I gather Bill Oddie is tracing his Mother who was in an institution.

It will be interesting to see how he proceeds and what documents, etc., he is allowed to view.

ALLEN, GREEN, HOBBINS, Walsall. 
ALLEN, KNOWLES, TROMANS, Cradley area.    
BRETTELL, BROOKS, ENSELL, Stourbridge area.  
MCWHIRTER, RICE, TROMANS, Plymouth area.
TIMMINS,  Chaddesley Corbett, Kidderminster.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is suddenly into Family History
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 07:10 BST (UK) »
I thought it was interesting to see that Michael Aspel was allowed to view the 1901 census household details and census image without paying a penny.  Very misleading to us lot who know how much each viewing costs  >:( >:(
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Jackienock

• RootsChat Extra
  • A GRUMPY OLD MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 07:14 BST (UK) »
I  had forgotten that bit. It was the first time that I had seen what the full screen of the 1901 Census looks like. I only ever view the free version

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 07:34 BST (UK) »
I think that the programme should have explained all the fees payable, and not just even for the 1901 census.

The BBC's wrists need slapping ;D  ;)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Jackienock

• RootsChat Extra
  • A GRUMPY OLD MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

I can't but agree with you on that point.

On the same topic of 'everyone is........', all of a sudden because I have been doing Family history for some years I have become an 'expert' and all sorts of unexpected people are asking me what to do and where to go. Up until a few weeks ago I thought I was just a novice.

Fame at last.

Robert

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 08:04 BST (UK) »
I thought it was interesting to see that Michael Aspel was allowed to view the 1901 census household details and census image without paying a penny.  Very misleading to us lot who know how much each viewing costs  >:( >:(

Don't forget, it's probably OUR licence money that the BBC used so he could view it........

Why don't they show non-celebs (like us?)

Helen x
Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 08:10 BST (UK) »
It's good to know that there is so much interest - although it seems to me that a lot of people think it is SO easy !....I met a young lady last week who asked me what a 'genealogist' does.....and then said 'Oh yes, ours is done - we go right back to William the Conqueror' ......end of conversation .

I am afraid I lost interest !  As far as I am concerned - it is never done.....that's why it's a tree - always growing in every direction !
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 09:42 BST (UK) »
I think its a good thing that family history is becoming more popular. Of course, you'll always get those people who want their whole tree completed on a Saturday afternoon, but for every one of them you'll have a true genealogist who really wants to get to grips with tracing their family tree. The more of us that do it, the more of us there will be to work on indexes for our regions, which will be of benefit to the wider genealogical community. The more of us there are, the more our needs will be catered for by archives and libraries etc.

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline booger

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 10:49 BST (UK) »
Not to mention the possibility that the govenment will be pressurised into  making the 1911, 1921 censuses available before the 100-year period is over.  All of my direct ancestors, frothat period, are long gone.