Author Topic: Everyone is suddenly into Family History  (Read 4284 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is suddenly into Family History
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 18:16 BST (UK) »
As someone who does not own a T.V. I won't see the programme, but I still know what's going on because the BBC are trailing it like mad on steam radio and there have been articles on it on the Sunday press recently.  All made to look so EASY!  One had the journalist photographed carrying rolls of "documents" (looked like wallpaper to me) to illustrate the article.

Whilst I agree with Amy that it is great to get people interested in genealogy,
I also agree with some of you that it will be made to look so quick and easy, like the makeover programmes for gardens and houses.  Whereas in reality it's hard work but fantastically rewarding when you get something that has really been difficult to track down.  And you are right, I bet the "celebrities" all had help from professionals and were able to get access to things we mere mortals can't obtain.

What worries me more than a little is that there will be a temporary crash of sites like the 1901 Census when it first appeared, as there will be internet overload when everyone starts looking!  A lot of people will assume you can get it all through the Web.

Honeybun

Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi All

BBC4 programme was well worth staying up for (although next Tuesday's isn't till 11.00 !).

Derek Overfield (had a really traumatic time when he was younger, both his parents died when he was reasonably young and he was sent to live with relatives who  only really tolerated him and kicked him out when he was still only a teenager.  When he visited his solicitor for the reading of his Dad's will he was told that he didn't exist and they didn't know who he was!  What a bombshell that must have been. He turned to drink for a short while but fortunately found the local church, and his wife-to-be, and turned his life around so much that he ended up 'taking the cloth', becoming the Reverend Derek Overfield. (This was in Wales)

He only decided to seriously make efforts to find out who his real parents were much later on and only had the details on his birth certificate.  His mothers maiden name was Cohen, and the informant's name was Bernstein so he approached the Jewish organisation (which name I forget - it was late last night) in order to try and track down what happened.

Cut a long story short, he found he had a younger brother who took him on a guided tour of the family's old stomping ground (Bethnal Green/Hackney, etc).  His mother had died by then and he never really got to find out why he had been given away although it was confirmed by an older friend/family member that his mother had never spoken of it and it had been a secret all that time.

At the end of the programme he never did discover in quite what circumstances he ended up in Wales although he did find his brother and brother's family and they appeared to be very close. 

Just glad that they found each other - happy ending to a sad start. 

Why they don't show this on 'normal' BBC as well I don't know - much better than some of the **** that's on most of the time!

Helen

p.s. next week is a family from Ohio tracing their Scottish roots !  Should be interesting - might have to set the video for that one though.
Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jackienock

• RootsChat Extra
  • A GRUMPY OLD MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen

I'm quite pleased I started this topic yesterday and have been waiting patiently for someone to describe last night's programme on BBC4, which we don't have.

Sounds really interesting and if you watched Bill Oddie on the previous BBC2 channel, then you will have had quite a good evening.

I found Bill's account rather sad to say the least and as I know where Barnsley Hall stood at Bromsgrove I can imagine how it must have felt for him when he visited.

I must confess that the programme didn't turn out quite how I was expecting and I think that anyone viewing it with the idea of starting a search for their ancestors might have been a little disappointed.

Good entertainment nevertheless and I shall look forward to seeing the next episode. Might even go and get a set top box to see the other programme.

Must admit my favourite series at the moment is Michael Palin's
Himalayan journey but that's another subject entirely and nothing to do with RootsChat.

Robert

ALLEN, GREEN, HOBBINS, Walsall. 
ALLEN, KNOWLES, TROMANS, Cradley area.    
BRETTELL, BROOKS, ENSELL, Stourbridge area.  
MCWHIRTER, RICE, TROMANS, Plymouth area.
TIMMINS,  Chaddesley Corbett, Kidderminster.

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 October 04 16:39 BST (UK) »
Do you think there is a significant increase in researchers or is it like when you buy a new car and then you see them everywhere?   ???
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline Jackienock

• RootsChat Extra
  • A GRUMPY OLD MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 October 04 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Nettie

I would say that there is quite a remarkable increase in people looking for their ancestors in the UK.

When I first started a few years ago, folks would look at you strangely when you mentioned what you were doing. Then say, " Oh I would like to do that one day".

Now they are!

Happy hunting
Robert

ALLEN, GREEN, HOBBINS, Walsall. 
ALLEN, KNOWLES, TROMANS, Cradley area.    
BRETTELL, BROOKS, ENSELL, Stourbridge area.  
MCWHIRTER, RICE, TROMANS, Plymouth area.
TIMMINS,  Chaddesley Corbett, Kidderminster.

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 October 04 17:45 BST (UK) »
I think broadband internet plus increased computer literacy (both applicable in my case) have stimulated or re-awakened interest in lots of subjects of which family history is just one. I am very gald about that.
I only have 5 terrestrial Tv channels too but am I right in thinking that BBC3 and 4 are repeated pretty promptly on BBC1 or 2?

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 May 06 10:27 BST (UK) »
In Oz, our national broadcaster has not yet realised the great interest in family history, so we are not getting comparable programs.

But my question is -

Are all these programs on the BBC going to mean that forever more there is going to be a huge waiting time for certificates from the GRO??  ??? :( :'(

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 May 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
Marie

The GRO site message has gone from delays to Easter then to May, what now?

I'm sure as the weather eventually warmed up and people get out and about more it will eventually get quieter and allow us to get our certs a bit quicker.

I hope anyway! :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 May 06 10:43 BST (UK) »
Kerry

I hope you are right!!!

I have been holding off with ordering certs, hoping that things would slow down soon, but all these programs have me worried!  ???

Marie
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland