Author Topic: Everyone is suddenly into Family History  (Read 4285 times)

bigh45

Re: Everyone is suddenly into Family History
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 11:31 BST (UK) »
I thought it was interesting to see that Michael Aspel was allowed to view the 1901 census household details and census image without paying a penny.  Very misleading to us lot who know how much each viewing costs  >:( >:(

i agree with you too Jan.... ;)

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 11:58 BST (UK) »
I missed the prgramme, but you can bet there is going to be a few threads on here after the 12th October when that other programme starts.   I for one am going to be glued to the telly.   
I wonder if they'll include all the internet resources on the programme?   We Rootchatters might even get a mention!

Form an orderly queue here for my autograph! ( chuckle)
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline booger

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 12:45 BST (UK) »
I think the BBC should follow this series up with one on ordinary members of the public with unusual family trees or noteworthy events in their family histories. Better than all of that greedy property developer stuff that makes my brain feel numb. Money, profit and wealth. Ok, I admit that I did quite well out of the booms, but enough of this. We're all bored with it. Let's start focusing on families and our ancestors' dirty washing. Maybe then people will begin to realize that we are ALL kin and some of the nasty racism and sectarianism, in this country, may disappear. I'd love to see a qualified and respected genealogist carry out research on known members of the BNP. I heard that 1:20 'white' Londoners are descended from one or more of the black Africans living in the city in the 18th century!

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 12:51 BST (UK) »
I'd love to see a qualified and respected genealogist carry out research on known members of the BNP. I heard that 1:20 'white' Londoners are descended from one or more of the black Africans living in the city in the 18th century!

Trouble is, the BNP member would probably refute all that particular research and produce their own tree going back to a lily-white Adam and Eve: Address "Garden of Eden"

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 12:58 BST (UK) »
Someone asked me today how he could find the church where his grandparents were married.

My questions were:
Was it after 1837? reply don't know
Do you know where your grandparents lived? no

He didn't like it when I said he would have to buy some birth certificates and marriage certificate and look at the census.

People expect it to be available NOW

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 13:04 BST (UK) »

Trouble is, the BNP member would probably refute all that particular research and produce their own tree going back to a lily-white Adam and Eve: Address "Garden of Eden"

Pauline

The problem with that is, they are now saying that the Garden of Eden was probably in Syria or some where  ;)

So they're much more likely to say they are decendant of Boudica.  :)
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 13:31 BST (UK) »

Why don't they show non-celebs (like us?)

Helen x

Oops, my bad, apparently BBC4 are showing a non-celeb tracing his roots at 10.00 tonight.

Family Ties.  A new series tracing family roots.  The Reverend Derek Overfield discovers the identity of his birth parents and learns that he is in fact Jewish. 

Think I'll be doing ironing tonight - that way I can watch 2 hours of family history without being moaned at !!!

Helen x
Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jackienock

• RootsChat Extra
  • A GRUMPY OLD MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 14:21 BST (UK) »
As the originator of this topic I seem to have started something.

Unfortunately as a grumpy old man and even worse a poor old age pensioner, I shall be unable to watch the BBC4 programme this evening.

We only have steam TV with five channels.

I shall look forward to hearing other people's reports tomorrow.

ALLEN, GREEN, HOBBINS, Walsall. 
ALLEN, KNOWLES, TROMANS, Cradley area.    
BRETTELL, BROOKS, ENSELL, Stourbridge area.  
MCWHIRTER, RICE, TROMANS, Plymouth area.
TIMMINS,  Chaddesley Corbett, Kidderminster.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 15:39 BST (UK) »
Helen, you will have to let us know about that programme on BBC4.  I've just cancelled my SKY subscription so won't be able to watch it  :'( :'(

Here's hoping that one day these Family History documentaries show ordinary, everyday people like you, me and all of us .............................  ;D ;D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand