Author Topic: FELSTE(A)D Family - Herts  (Read 6561 times)

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FELSTE(A)D Family - Herts
« on: Monday 10 April 06 20:38 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across this family? In 1861 Susannah and William Felstead were in Hertford St. Andrew. Their daughter Ann (great gran) was born in 1874
They were still in the same place in 1881.

Brigcs

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Felsted -Felstead Herts
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 April 06 20:59 BST (UK) »
What is it you want?  It's difficult to just "come across" a family but we could help try to find some facts for you.

William was 33 born Hoddesdon in 1861 and Susanna was 35 born Notts Sutton upon Trent.  They already had children Elizabeth 9 born Hoddesdon, William 7, John 5 and Richard 2 the other children born Ware.

Do you need 1871 information? which we can find a lot more easily with their dates of birth and birthplaces.
They lived in Fairbrother's Yard, St Andrew, Hertfordshire
William Felstead Head M 44 Draper's Porter Herts Hoddesdon
Susannah Wife M 46 Notts Burton on Trent
Richard Son 12 Herts Ware
Katherine daur 8 " Hertford
RG10/1373 Hertford Folio 15 Page 25

I would think this is William in 1851, judging by his age and birthplace
Lords Lane, Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire
Thomas and Sarah Shipton have a lodger
William Felstead U 24 Groom Herts Hoddesdon
HO107/1705 Ware Hoddesdon Folio 58 Page 25

If you were able to give the information from the 1881 census as fully detailed as these above, we could also help to see if we can find them in 1891 and 1901 if you don't have that already.

Now we have his date of birth and place, somebody might be able to do you a 1841 census look up, I wonder if he could still be with his parents then?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 06 21:05 BST (UK) »
Gosh that was really quick. Really I suppose I was trying to see if anyone else is linked to this family. The name seems to be quite rare and doesn't often come up often on other sites. Ann the daughter commited suicide in 1910 and I'd love to find photos or anything.

Thanks for all your wonderful info. I had only got '61, '71 and '81.

Best wishes

Brigcs

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
Maybe its a Hertfordshire name, there seemed to be quite a few Williams around.

Have you put your name on the Surname Interest Table, there's a link to it at the bottom of each page, that might do you some good.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Found a William Felstead on the 1841   ...

HO107/444/9.   F.39.  P.24.  Ware Valley, Hoddesdon.
John Felstead   40  M.S.
Charlotte Felstead   40
William Felsead   15
All born in county.
(Adult ages rounded to nearest 5)

Hope this helps.

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pete.

Hoddesdon is the right place.

Brigcs

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FELSTE(A)D Family - Herts
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Whilst trawling the 1841 I found two other entries for 'Felstead'.  1) Sarah age 70 pauper living alone in Ware Valley, Hoddesdon and 2) William 60, Sarah 50, Thomas 25, John 20, Elizabeth 13 and Mary 8 living in Stanstead Valley, Hoddesdon.   All born in county except Sarah 50.

The IGI records the baptism of John Felstead s/o John and Sarah on 17th June 1798 at Broxbourne and also the marriage of John Felstead and Charlotte Tuck at Great Amwell, a stones throw from Hoddesdon, on 9 May 1825.

Worth putting on hold for future reference.

Regards   ...   Peter

Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darren S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 July 06 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Whilst trawling the 1841 I found two other entries for 'Felstead'.  1) Sarah age 70 pauper living alone in Ware Valley, Hoddesdon and 2) William 60, Sarah 50, Thomas 25, John 20, Elizabeth 13 and Mary 8 living in Stanstead Valley, Hoddesdon.   All born in county except Sarah 50.

It's a small world, isn't it?  ;D William and Sarah Felstead mentioned in 2) above are my great-great-great-great-grandparents, Elizabeth aged 13 is my great-great-great-grandmother, she went on to marry William Taylor and then they both relocated to London.

I haven't found any links to the other Felsteads mentioned in this thread. Sarah Felstead's maiden name appears to be Green, from the IGI.

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 October 06 16:59 BST (UK) »
I found this entry a while back and was interested because a Felstead family from Albury, Herts is connected to one of my lines.  At the time I couldn't see that there was a link but I had reason to look at the Great Amwell marriage register at HALS today and found the following entry -

Richard Barker 23 shepherd
m
Mary Ann Felstead 27 of Albury father Joseph

Witnesses Benjamin Felstead (probably her brother who emigrated to Oz a few years later) and Mary Felstead.

So why was Mary marrying in Great Amwell?  Perhaps she did have family in the area and that is how she came to meet Richard and marry at Great Amwell.

A long shot I know but thought I would post in case it is of any interest to anyone.
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford