Author Topic: Help, please  (Read 3748 times)

Offline barbaradias58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help, please
« on: Monday 10 April 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any idea how I go about trying to find a death record for my great grandfather. He may have been an illegal immigrant. Apparently died in or near Ross-On-Wye, accidentally at work, as a carpenter. His name was Jose Pereira Dias, or could also have been Jose Dias Ribeiro....(or similiar to that spelling of the surname).........any suggestions would be greatfully received.

We have done an extensive search, and have hit a brick wall, we haven't been able to find anything that remotely looks like a good clue.

Thank you to all

Barbara Dias
Vancouver Island Canada

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help, please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 April 06 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara

You haven't included any date information, nor have you said whether you have found him on any censuses.

I assume you have searched the Beta indexes of BMD which are currently free at Ancestry?

Do you know what kind of work he might have been doing?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 06 21:21 BST (UK) »

Accidental death should have involved the coroner and there are records, also the local newspaper for the area may carry something, but agree we need some dates to try to pinpoint him.

Offline barbaradias58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 06 22:47 BST (UK) »
I apologize, yes, I have searched the bmd records, and have found nothing so far. His name as we know it was Jose Pereira Dias, died of an accidental death while at work. He worked as a Carpenter. We were told in worked in and around Ross-on-Wye. We also were told that he may have been an illegal imigrant from Portugal. We know he had at least one son, my grandfather Bernardino Pereira Dias. We have located his grave in Llanelli , wales. He died in 1957, but none of his family members in the UK know anything about my grandfather's family. We aren't even sure of the exact year he entered the uk, but we think that it was probably about 1912 +/- 3 years. The name Jose Pereira Dias comes from my grandfather's marriage certificate in 1921. My grandfather named his father, his occupation and that he was deceased. So the dates we are searching for the death record are from 1920 - 1925, as we are not convinced that my grandfather's father was deceased in 1921, based on some just recent information. Is there anything else you need? We don't have much to go on.........just names, some search years, occupation, and where he originally came from.
Thanks for your interest and help
Barbara Dias

Offline barbaradias58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 06 23:03 BST (UK) »
Whoops one more piece of information, my great grandfather's name may have been Jose Dias Riberio.

Thanks again
Barb

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 06 23:05 BST (UK) »
The Register Office for the area is Ross on Wye,
The Old Chapel
Cantilupe Road
Ross on Wye
Herefordshire HR9 7AN

They may hold the death certificate, but you could try the Coroners Record for the time.
The local newspaper for the area is the Ross Gazette and an appeal in there might bring results,
However Ross on Wye in very close to the Gloucestershire border and the death could have occurred in Gloucestershire , perhaps in the Forest of Dean, and the Registrar in Ross will be able to advise you of any other nearby Register Offices to try if the Certificate in not in Ross.

Offline barbaradias58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 April 06 23:16 BST (UK) »
In addition we haven't found him on the census, which leads us to believe our theory that he entered the uk, afterwards.

Thanks for the info, we will try those contacts.

Barb