Author Topic: Gretna Green questions...  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Gretna Green questions...
« on: Tuesday 11 April 06 16:14 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace a marriage that took place at Gretna Green between 1935-1937. (Without any luck so far!).

According to the Scottish GRO site, 'irregular marriages' took place at the Blacksmith's shop and at Gretna Hall during these dates.

My question is, would eloping couples also have married at the local Registry Office at Gretna Green? Or would this have had no advantage over marrying say, in England?

Thanks,
Leofric

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gretna Green questions...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 21:23 BST (UK) »
Forgive me if you already know this, but the reason couples married in Gretna is that in Scotland you could marry at 16 without parental consent.  In England you had to be 21.  As Gretna was just over the border, it was a popular place for English couples to marry if they did not have parental consent.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 21:57 BST (UK) »
Grendlsmother,

Thanks for your reply. This couple were both in their late twenties and so I'm wondering why they went to the trouble of going to Gretna.

What I really wanted to know, but didn't phrase correctly, is whether 'regular' marriages also took place at Gretna? If so, then these would surely be recorded at the GRO in Edinburgh?

regards, Leofric

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 14:04 BST (UK) »
Romance?

Gretna has always been a popular destination for just that reason.

Have you seen this list?  These are the custodians of the records.

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/hlpsrch/sumrmar/runmar.html

In answer to your question yes regular marriages would of taken place in Gretna as it is a parish with a parish church.

You are however in a difficult time fro marriages in Scotland.  Handfasting was still legal until 1939 I believe so these types of ceremonies would of had no records unless the local priest chose to record.

I'm trying to find some info on whether marriages conducted at that time, even over the anvil, had to be registered?  Will post again if they did?

Additional 1940 seems to have been the time when they called a halt to anvil marriages.  Anything post that year will have a record - which doesn't help you I'm afraid.

Full History of Marriage in Scotland:
http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files/history.pdf

Civil registration was introduced in 1939 - so your lot either had an irregular marriage or a parish marriage - the later would be registered at the GROS.  The former may not be recorded anywhere - try the custodian list.

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 April 06 21:32 BST (UK) »
Pam,

Thank you for your helpful reply.