Author Topic: Graves in grave danger !  (Read 28889 times)

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
Re: Graves in grave danger !
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 15 September 07 01:55 BST (UK) »
Today I visited the old graveyard of Fraserburgh.
After looking at a few of the old stones, it is fair to say that it is quickly becoming useless to us researchers.
The fronts of the stones are chipping off, stones are cracking in half and toppling. As well as that, many of the older stones from the 17th and 18th Century are almost unusable.

I'm not sure if this graveyeard has been indexed yet so much of the information may be lost if something is not down. I know that the 'Aberdeen & North East Scotland Family History Society' have indexed cemeteries in the passed. Furthermore, they have published their work (indexed, scribed and mapped) in little booklets that go on sale to the general public.

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to put a plea in to them.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline borntobounce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 June 09 16:24 BST (UK) »
Here in the US we have many of our pioneer cemeteries in the same condition.  There are now several volunteer organizations that have formed who have taken on the cause of restoring these cemeteries and their stones.  They find cemeteries, contact the owners and obtain permission to work on the cemetery and the stones.  The main reason here for the deplorable condition of our pioneer cemeteries is basically lack of money.  There's where the volunteer efforts help so much.  They collect donations and many of the volunteers use their own money to buy the supplies like the stone patch to fix broken stones, the cleaners, etc.  That might be something y'all can do out there.  :-)  It's well worth the effort.

Shelly

Offline RJLeen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 20:47 BST (UK) »
In the UK some councils knock down gravestones when they think there's a danger they'll fall.  Helf and Safety gone mad of course.  ???

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 July 09 14:23 BST (UK) »
In the UK some councils knock down gravestones when they think there's a danger they'll fall.  Helf and Safety gone mad of course.  ???

This is in case all the children playing in the cem could get hurt , While there swinging on the stones ...
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 02 August 09 11:00 BST (UK) »
back in 1949 I learnt the new word  "perpetuity", when my father described that the family had paid for their parents' grave and headstone to be looked after by the council in perpetuity.   I've never seen the document and never knew who had it but it should make interesting reading.  However, judging by the disgraceful way many council Health & Safety Departments are treating our cemeteries I've no doubt some law or bye-law has been passed to get around the agreement.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline cello

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 14 August 09 17:40 BST (UK) »
http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/briefings/snha-03634.pdf

The House of Commons has issued guidelines on Unsafe Headstones in Cemeteries which I found out about from a letter sent to our parish clerk from Harriet Harman. See page 7 of the above document link.

My own recent experience of a family headstone in Shrivenham, Oxfordshire was positive in that the Church Warden advertised for family to come forward regarding two unsafe headstones (one was my family) and from information given they were able to contact us.  Although we had already made plans to restore the headstone it had not been unsafe when we had last seen it last autumn.  However, the cold winter had cracked the remaining cement.

My contact with both the Church Warden and the County Council officer (the graveyard is a closed graveyard and maintained by the County Council) was very positive.

The problem many families have is that it is so expensive to have repairs done.

Around this area of Oxfordshire much voluntary work has been done over the past few years to tidy up churchyards and make them peaceful havens, but people will always disagree on what should be done.

Many people want ivy and lichen left alone, many want it removed and the arguments weigh evenly for each side.  Ivy does dreadful damage to some types of stone, but some old headstones are literally being held together by ivy.

Some people want buried headstones left buried.  In our churchyard we have unburied them to transcribe the details arguing that although uncovering them may lead to them weathering more, they cannot be transcribed unless they are uncovered and therein the argument goes around in circles.

My suggestion would be for more people to transcribe headstones in their local churchyard - if it has not already been done.  We have spent 5 years slowly transcribing the headstones in different sections of our churchyard and although it is quite difficult, it is also very rewarding and a fun day for everyone.

Some people don't like children playing in churchyards.  My local church has a path straight through the middle on the way to the childrens playground.  I like to think that the sound of childrens laughter makes a churchyard more uplifting.

Whatever our different thoughts it is important that churchyards are maintained and where necessary, restored but we all need to do our bit.

Cello
White - South Marston (WILTS), Woolstone (BERKS)
Hathrill - Fernham (BERKS)
Wentworth - Little Bedwyn (WILTS), Uffington (BERKS)
Richings - Wotton-Under-Edge (GLOC)
de Jager - Groningen
de Jonge - Groningen
Smid - Groningen, Eindhoven
Werkhoven - Eindhoven

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 21 August 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
Some people don't like children playing in churchyards.  My local church has a path straight through the middle on the way to the childrens playground.  I like to think that the sound of childrens laughter makes a churchyard more uplifting.
Cello

Keeping to the paths is one thing - using the headstones as "play" equipment is quite another!

Our family has fallen foul of the notorious "topple test" legislation and have had to have a brand new stone erected for our parents - something you don't expect to have to do when the original stone was only set in 1973!
Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 13 November 09 19:36 GMT (UK) »
all comes down to heath n safety now
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 13 November 09 19:54 GMT (UK) »
There was also a case in which the council flattened headstones in a graveyard and were ordered to re-instate them at the councils expense as they had no authority to remove the headstones.

However I would suggest instead of simply moaning take action.

I was annoyed when a local Baptist Church cleared their burial ground
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/Ossett/obmi1.htm

I have since negotiated to take care of the burial ground myself even though none of my ancestors are buried there.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.