Author Topic: Graves in grave danger !  (Read 28885 times)

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
Re: Graves in grave danger !
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 18:18 BST (UK) »
well looks like i've been told off too many pic  :'(  oh well
                              ??? ??? ???
 so i will take a few away sorry  ???
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 March 07 23:04 BST (UK) »
I thought I'd just revive this thread.  It seems that several councils are now pushing over old gravestones incase they fall on people.  I won't name the place I went to see but it looked a state.  Even gravestones that were perfectly safe have been pushed over.  And not just that - those with different tiers of stone have had the top chopped off - like those in Graceland's second picture.  These were perfectly stable gravestones.  I presume they had to use chainsaws to cut them down.

Then I find this today: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/6493223.stm

Still, at least they're actually checking which ones are safe rather than pushing all of them over.

Andrew

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 March 07 23:57 BST (UK) »
Well in Norwich, they took down old gravestones and used them to line a path for the opening of a new shopping centre!

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/News/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=News&tBrand=enonline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED24%20Sep%202005%2012%3A25%3A08%3A897 -  This story was reported in the EDP in Sept '05 before the opening of the new shopping centre in October. They did move some of them back after complaints but it is still creepy and v.disrespectful to see it now, and the comment in the article that the graveyard was closed in 1854 is rubbish as there are cremations with plaques in there from the 60's! I would not be impressed if I found an ancestor was buried there and went to visit and found his headstone had been moved opposite Wagamama's restaurant and had a coke can and and chewing gum in front of it.

Although the shopping centre itself is really nice and tasteful, unlike the path!

acceber (term time Norwich resident)
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 March 07 00:11 BST (UK) »
Well in Norwich, they took down old gravestones and used them to line a path for the opening of a new shopping centre!

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/News/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=News&tBrand=enonline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED24%20Sep%202005%2012%3A25%3A08%3A897 -  This story was reported in the EDP in Sept '05 before the opening of the new shopping centre in October. They did move some of them back after complaints but it is still creepy and v.disrespectful to see it now, and the comment in the article that the graveyard was closed in 1854 is rubbish as there are cremations with plaques in there from the 60's! I would not be impressed if I found an ancestor was buried there and went to visit and found his headstone had been moved opposite Wagamama's restaurant and had a coke can and and chewing gum in front of it.

Although the shopping centre itself is really nice and tasteful, unlike the path!

acceber (term time Norwich resident)
That's a disgrace - I for one would deliberately avoid walking on a gravestone path.  It's just simply not right at all.

Andrew

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 March 07 00:22 BST (UK) »
On my last visit home I was appalled at what I saw in the cemetery of my Parish Chuch. Old gravestones and surrounds had literally been bulldozed into one big pile. I was also told of several instances where the council "checkers" were responsible for deliberately loosening ols stones. There was a hefty coiuncil charge to make them "safe." My father's cousin actually watched one worker rocking her father's stone until it loosened. She reported it to the council but never heard anything from them.
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 March 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
I went to visit my parents' grave on Mothering Sunday, to take flowers, only to find a wooden stake rammed up behind the stone with a large strap around both stone and stake and a hazard warning sign on it!

A few months ago the stone was very slightly tipping forwards, but it was the flagstone on which it was placed that was sinking into the earth - the upright and plinth were perfectly square. We were going to get an estimate to have the flagstone levelled up but the council have come along and actually moved the gravestone askew on the flagstone to "prove" it is faulty!

To add insult to injury we're now not allowed to have the stone put right unless we go to a "council-approved" stonemason!

As the stonemason cannot guarantee that the remedial works will not damage the stone, we may be forced to purchase a completely new one. "The problem is, dear, it's such an old stone........"  :o it was only erected in 1973!
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 March 07 23:11 BST (UK) »
 Funny that, Stoney. The guy Dad's cousin watched turned out to be the "council approved" stonemason!
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
  • 578 Squadron Memorial Balkholme East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 May 07 23:44 BST (UK) »
These stories have just brought to mind an article I saw in a local newspaper earlier this week.  One council in the North East seem to have got it right and have started work to repair and reinstate an estimated 300 memorials, in closed churchyards and are covering the cost instead of passing it on to relatives.  This will include reimbursing some families who have already paid to have relations' memorials fixed.  It states, plans to improve its closed churchyards policy were drawn up after new safety advice from the Public Services Ombudsman.  Also states, it is helping to protect the district's heritage.  Well done to this particular council!!!

justmej
Brumby and Cheeseman (Louth, Lincs)
Brumby, Clark, Smith & Young (Sunderland, Co.Durham)
Cowing, Foster, Hudspith, Kilgour, Patterson, Pattinson, Pringle & Robinson (Northumberland)
Douglas, Laurence, McQueen, Moffat & Pringle (Scotland)
Hall, Harding (Hollinside), Maugham/Maughan & McQueen (Whickham, Co.Durham)
Oliver & Stark (Co.Durham, Northumberland & Scotland)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 May 07 00:27 BST (UK) »
On a recent holiday to England (returned last week) I visited several graveyards to do a little searching and also for pleasure (my kids like trying to find the oldest stone). I was disgusted to see stones used for paths in many churchyards. (The shopping centre path takes the cake!) Most churchyards were well cared for, many had only a few stones in place (indicating removal for whatever reason). Very sad. I also think there should be some protection from wear and tear for stones on floors inside churches themselves - are these underfloor burials or just headstones being used as pavers?