Author Topic: Don't know where to look.  (Read 3751 times)

Offline kevlin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Don't know where to look.
« on: Tuesday 11 April 06 18:27 BST (UK) »
I have managed to find the marriage of Payne Jacob to Mary Clark 1801 at St Benedicts in Huntingdon on IGI - Payne being my GGGG Grandfather. Whether Payne came from this area I have no idea or if there is any way of finding out this information.  Not long after his marriage they moved to Finsbury/Islington in London where he died in 1839 aged 62.  How can I find further info on Payne bearing in mind he was born round about the abt 1777.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Lin

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Don't know where to look.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 23:48 BST (UK) »
Whilst I cannot see the marriage to which you refer on the IGI, Hunts Marriage Index has a marriage in 1801 at Huntingdon St Mary & St Benedicts between Payn Jacobs, widower, and Mary Clark (it's also on the BVRI)

Both the IGI and Hunts Marriage Index have a marriage at Fenstanton on 7 Oct 1797 between Payne Jacob and Sarah Criswell. Strangely though,  I can't see a burial in Hunts of a Sarah Jacob between 1797 and 1801.

The BVRI has the following baptisms
26 Feb 1748 Pain Jacob at Kings Ripton parents William & Elizabeth
25 Dec 1776 Pain Jacob at Fenstanton parents Henry & Phillis

I cannot see any children of Payne and Sarah baptised at Fenstanton, but there are a couple of children of Pain and Mary at Huntingdon.

It looks enticing to link the Payn, widower, in 1801 with the Payne married 1797 and the Pain baptised 1776 (ties in nicely with the burial in 1839 age 62) but you really need to check the parish register in each case (and the not insignificant matter of finding a burial for Sarah)

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline kevlin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Don't know where to look.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi David

The info on Payne b 1776 to Henry & Phillis seems to tie in, although I agree with you on a check.  Payne's first son was named Henry and there seems to be a Phillis born 1804 in Hunts. to a Payne and Mary. Sorry if I mentioned that the marriage between Payne and Mary was found on IGI, my mistake - I found this info on Ancestry.

A big thanks you for this info and your time much appreciated.

ttfn
Lin