Author Topic: Hollingsworths/Cavills in Thaxted  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hollingsworths/Cavills in Thaxted
« on: Wednesday 12 April 06 20:46 BST (UK) »
I've finally got Betsey Hollingsworth's birth certificate from 1842. It gives her father's name John Hollingsworth, labourer and his wife Mary (maiden name looks like Cavill) but it only gives their address as "Thaxted". No street name. I haven't been able to find them in any of the census returns,

Any ideas?
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Hollingsworths/Cavills in Thaxted
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 April 06 14:13 BST (UK) »
There is this family in 1841

HO 107/340/8  -  Debden
Sch. 12, Page 18
Berrington End

HOLLINGSWORTH
John - 40 - ag lab
Mary - 35 - not born in county
John - 15 - nbic
William - 12
Elizabeth - 9
Peter - 7
David - 4
James - 1
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janterrydee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 06 16:11 BST (UK) »
This is my family too. Betsey Hollingsworth married John Sutclife she was born 11/9/1842. Her parents were John Hollingsworth and Mary Cavill  (they had 8 children). Mary was the sister of my 3xgt grandma Charlotte. The 2 sisters were born into a family of 12 siblings, parents were James Cavill (1768) and Elizabeth Iorns (1771, probably know as Betsey). married 22/06/1798. James's parents were William Cavill and Margret Livermore married 10/07/1766.
hope this puts you in the right direction.

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
Janterrydee, wonderful to hear from you. Would you know whereabouts in the Thaxted area they any of the family lived? I've been to Thaxted several times but would love a street number or even a village. I visited Debden but couldn't find Berrington End
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline Janterrydee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 06 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In the 1841 census the Hollingsworth are living in what looks like Sibters Green or Libters Green, Thaxted !!!! you have to go forward a page in the census to find this. James Cavill and his wife Elizabeth (Mary's parents) are living in Mill End with my ancestor, their youngest daughter, Charlotte. This is the north part of the main road through Thaxted.
I expect you know that the 1851 census for Thaxted was destroyed !!
and of course Mary Hollingsworth nee Cavill died before 1861.
I do have  Elizabeth Cavill's death cert, will have to get it out.
James Cavill died in 1841, so as he was in Mill end, he  must be in the grave yard.
Charlotte moved to Stanbrook ( i am told that there are only 4 cottages there) where she lived her whole life first as Charlotte Baker and then Charlotte Baffs.
I do have a lot more info but can not put my address on this open site. I am on GenesReunited if that is any help.
Best wishes, janterrydee