Author Topic: Help to identify location (COMPLETED)  (Read 2141 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Help to identify location (COMPLETED)
« on: Thursday 13 April 06 13:16 BST (UK) »
The attached image is from the death certificate of my gt grandfathers brother who died in Scotland in 1907 aged 32 (not much luck as gt grandad died in 1899 aged 23). This is potentially a breakthrough in my Irish brick wall

Can anyone make out the location named in County Armagh by my Grt-Grt-Grandmother

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
Re: Help to identify location
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 April 06 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn it looks like Killy Lea Co Armagh to me. There are 14 townlands in Armagh that start with Killy look here

http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/cgi-bin/iresrch
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help to identify location
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 April 06 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help to identify location (COMPLETED)
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 April 06 19:18 BST (UK) »
It dosent look like my link worked but if you look at the L in Ireland and the A in days (six days certified) thats how i worked out the lea and then i checked the sean ruad site and there are 14 killy townlands in Armagh and the lea fits the best to your one on the cert.  ;D

Good luck.
ps my relations came from gilford in banbridge county down just beside Armagh my grt grandas brother married in Armagh. i'll be going to visit the area within the next few weeks if you want me to look for anything give me a shout.

colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 April 06 20:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the kind offer... although I have nothing concrete to go on at the moment.
Having looked at some maps KillyLea is looking a good bet ...... my grt grandmother came from County Monaghan .... although she and grt grandad married in Glasgow - family legend says that the marriage caused a split in the family ... although why no one knows.

That being said it was always thought that the family came from Antrim where the Patton name is fairly common although this new Armagh breakthrough might explain why we couldn't find any records there.

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 April 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
It seems as though a lot of people went to Scotland, that brother of my grt grandfather i mentioned earlier ended up in coatbridge larnarkshire with his wife.

goodluck with your search

colette